Official Review: Always a Princess by Clyve Rose

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Always a Princess by Clyve Rose

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Always a Princess" by Clyve Rose.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The civilized English townsfolk have always lived separately from the Romany nomads or gypsies (as they were sometimes referred to). The Romany was scorned by many English people for their strange lifestyle and customs that were considered uncouth. In some parts, they were even labeled as thieves and charlatans.

Always a Princess by Clyve Rose is a historical romance novel that focuses on the unconventional romance between a duke’s son, Captain Wil Clifton, and a Romany princess, Syeira Brishen. The pair meets after Syeira’s brother, Valkin, is wounded in a duel on the Clifton estate. Captain Wil takes responsibility for his actions and allows Syeira to treat her brother in his home. Syeira shows the English the true nature of her people through her kindness, willingness to help others, and unwavering dedication to family ties. Captain Wil can’t help but feel a growing attraction to the eighteen-year-old princess. Syeira finds him irresistible too. Can their love overcome cultural challenges?

The author devotes a big chunk of the plot to descriptions of Romany ways of life. This is what I liked the most. Clyve Rose also highlighted the discrimination faced by this marginalized group of people. Based on the author’s descriptions, it was easy for me to develop respect and admiration for these people’s skills and culture. Their talents included utilizing natural plants for healing and dyes, trading products and services, and reading palms.

Syeira was beautiful, strong-willed, and kind. She was my favorite character, but I also appreciated the other secondary characters like Wil’s younger sister, Lydia. Her childish joys and sorrows were fun to read about. Her little dog, Bony, made a lovely addition to Wil’s household too. I laughed aloud at the outrageous reason why Lydia chose Bony’s name.

Major cultural differences caused Syeira and Wil’s attraction to develop gradually and this resulted in a sensual, slow-burning romance. However, I would have appreciated more exciting intimate scenes initiated by Syeira, especially since it was mentioned more than once that Romany women were taught the ways of lovemaking at an early age. Although the narrative mentioned that Syeira forgot these lessons, I didn't believe that. This was the only aspect of the book that didn’t seem credible to me, but it didn't warrant deducting a star from the final rating.

The story was set against the backdrop of the Easter season. I think that this story will appeal to adult readers who don't mind this religious undertone. I will recommend Always a Princess to readers who enjoy unconventional historical romances. I’m pleased to report that this book was professionally edited. Based on my reading experience, I awarded Always a Princess 4 out of 4 stars. The story is a wonderful tribute to the Romany people who have resided in England since the 1500s.

Always a Princess
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

The story of this book is interesting. The book offers a good opportunity to learn more about the Romany way of life in a historical setting.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

Sometimes we are unfairly put in societal stereotypes that prevent or hinder others from fully interacting with us. Great review.
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Ohh this sounds like a good book! I do like my occasional romance. Thank you for your review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

The storyline sounds great. Historical romance especially when untypical always has its own flair. Would love to read.
Amrita B
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amrita-b.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Amrita B »

Your reviews certainly caught my attention ! I love reading historical romance fiction . Your summary surely made me wonder how beautifully the author would have displayed each scenes of this plot . I would surely read this book . It's worth it !
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Thank you all for commenting! Happy reading!
Vogan
Favorite Author: L.J Smith
Currently Reading: Fatal Flaws
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vogan.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
fav_author_id: 4017

Post by Vogan »

I love romance, but I've been let down a lot lately. I'll give this one a try thanks to your great review.
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

The cover caught my eyes. Great and informative review . Thank you for your hard work.
Vivian Jabeya
Favorite Book: Tales of the Seventies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-jabeya.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Vivian Jabeya »

I would love to read about Syeira and Will's love story. Good review !
nwaobifrancesca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaobifrancesca.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by nwaobifrancesca »

I will love to read this book. I enjoys romance stories a lot. Your review is very good. Thanks
talli_5
Currently Reading: Royal Assassin
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by talli_5 »

Thanks for the review! Romany culture is extremely interesting, especially for someone like who speant alot of my childhood in Europe with grandparents who would speak about the 'gypsies'. I also love slow burn romance novels, seems like I could really like this one.
Alheotuci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alheotuci.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Alheotuci »

From reading your review, this seems like a book that I'll enjoy.
Thanks for a detailed review!
Lizvip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizvip.html
Latest Review: The Narrow Gate by John Servant

Post by Lizvip »

This shows that we should always make an effort to learn about each others cultures! Interesting review.
Phrimps8
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Phrimps8 »

A great storyline
A romantic book which portrays stereotypes and romance at the same time!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”