Review by Wamakima -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wamakima
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Review by Wamakima -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journ...

Post by Wamakima »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nine-year-old Lily is torn away from her mother's arms and sold at a slave auction by her master. The pain intensifies when she learns that her former owner, master Lee, is her biological father. She tries to plead to his paternal instinct but to no avail. Lee sells her to a very callous, ruthless man known as Jesse Adams. Jesse Adams lives with his wife, three sons, and a slave only known as Auntie. Lily forges a friendship with Auntie and Jesse's youngest son James. Auntie dies a couple of years later leaving James as Lily's only friend.

They continue to play and grow up together until one day Jesse finds James assisting Lily with her chores. He becomes so shocked and angry and loosens two of James's teeth. Jesse then decides to teach James how to act around slaves. Signifying the end of their friendship, James becomes cruel and hostile towards Lily. He goes to medical school and Lily finds a reprieve from the heartless James. Until he returns and finds her playing his mother's piano. Surprised and hurt that she had kept it a secret that she could play, he schemes a "punishment" that changes Lily's status and life forever.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye is the first book in The Prodigy Slave series. Narrated from the third-person perspective, the reader gets an insight into the sociopolitical environment of the 19th century. It was a time of slavery -- the practice of selling, buying, and owning slaves. The slaves were predominantly African and African-American. Each chapter starts with a section of the Slave Code which gives an interesting insight into the rules and guidelines that slaves and slave owners had to follow.

Lily and James have a cliché type of relationship with the story built on the premise of forbidden love. The characters are also stereotypical. James is a handsome tall man with blue eyes and an athletic physique. His best friend Harrison is also dangerously handsome with his green eyes and a well-built body. Together they command the desire and affection of their female schoolmates. Londyn built the supporting characters very well and evoked different emotions in me. Like Lily, I developed an intense dislike for Lee and Jesse Adams. I also experienced the nostalgic desire that she felt when she expressed to James her desire to walk into a store without looks of suspicion, a dog running after her, or demand for slave papers. Londyn also uses dialogue to show the language used by characters.

I admired young James’s compassion and kindness. Despite the bullying from his father and brother, he took it all in stride to protect his friend. The book is addictive, and I liked how the author took me back in time. I felt as if I was there with the characters. I appreciate the author's use of sarcasm and humor as it made the story flow along smoothly. Not only that, but I learned a ton about slavery and understood how human beings can treat fellow human beings worse than animals. This book is exceptionally edited with no errors, and I did not find anything to dislike about it.

For this reason, I rate The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to all history buffs and fans of romance fiction. Naturally, the book has profanity and erotic scenes. I wouldn't recommend it to younger audiences.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Ephesians 6 by Allen C. Liles

Post by Marcel Cantu »

Wow, this sounds like a very compelling story with great themes. Thank you for your interesting review, I really enjoyed reading it!
Wamakima
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

Marcel Cantu wrote: ↑23 Mar 2021, 07:28 Wow, this sounds like a very compelling story with great themes. Thank you for your interesting review, I really enjoyed reading it!
Thank you too for reading my review.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”