Review by Moray_001 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jour...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Moray_001
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by Moray_001 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jour...

Post by Moray_001 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden is the first book in a trilogy. It is written by Londyn Skye and falls into the genre of romance. The story follows the emotional and turbulent journey of a slave girl, Lily. She does not have a surname or much of an identity in society. Lily has her human rights stripped from her because of her race, the colour of her skin and being born to a mother who is also a slave.

While we turn the pages of this book, we have a glimpse of just how difficult the life of a slave girl is in a country where racism is the order of the day and black folk are treated as the scum of the earth by society. Only a few kind-hearted people are an exception to this rule, such as Mr Williams Werthington and few others.

James, Lily’s childhood friend has always been her rock since she stepped into his home as a slave girl but their friendship is torn apart by Jesse, James’s father. It will take years to mend their friendship and restore their bond. However, during her trials, Lily’s special musical gift on the piano is her ticket to go very far in life. Despite her talents, not everyone is in favour of a black woman achieving such great heights.

I enjoyed reading Lily’s story. The author did a fantastic job with the description of emotions, thoughts and scenarios. The storytelling does not follow a chronological order, instead, we delve into memories of the past and situations which the author later explains after they have occurred.

It was interesting to see how the writer incorporated the use of southern slang and dialect in the dialogue. I also enjoyed reading the in-depth description of the characters, it made them very real to read. It helped the reader understand the reasons behind their actions.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I give it this rating because it is a captivating story full of emotion. I did not notice any errors in the book, it was edited professionally. The sexual content could have been toned down slightly to allow more people to enjoy such an incredible story and the book would still have a high value.

I recommend it to those who enjoy romance, drama and music. I do not recommend it to those who are triggered by depictions of racism, suicide, abuse and cruelty. I also do not recommend it for young readers due to its sexual content and portrayal of violence.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”