Review by PositiveAmbition -- The Prodigy Slave, Book On...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PositiveAmbition
2021 Reading Goal: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-positiveambition.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by PositiveAmbition -- The Prodigy Slave, Book On...

Post by PositiveAmbition »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This book is about a young slave Lily who had dreams and a god-given gift, but was trapped by the societal slavery of the 1800s. Despite being treated cruelly, the gift she had of playing the piano was used to make her dreams come true. It is about a love that was so deep it transcended the cultural mores of the time and was blind to color. This love takes different forms such as between Lily and James Adams, and the shared love William Werthington and James have for Lily's gift. The book shows how the kindness of others can elevate a person and make them feel worthy, giving them confidence and strength. It also shows the vulnerability in every human being, how we need the approval of others, and how the choice of words we use can be hurtful to others. Characters like William, James and others show that the kindness of the human spirit is within all of us. They go to great lengths to bring Lily's gift to the world, a world outside of what she has grown accustomed to. The book portrays how anyone can present him/herself in such a believable manner, that they can get away with anything. If a person has enough conviction and belief in themselves, they can achieve anything they want.

I enjoyed reading this book. There are many different lessons presented. First of all, it shows that music is powerful, music can bring all colors and cultures together just to listen, for the pure enjoyment of the notes being played. This book shows how people can love each other regardless of what color they are born with. It shows that we are all the same, but what we are taught determines what we believe and how we react. These lessons are brought to life in vivid detail by characters like Landon Von Brandt and Tucker McCormick, and can be applied to the present day. The trust which forms between people can turn on a dime.

This book held my interested and kept me intrigued. The positive ideals that hard work and preserverance can bring great success, as well as genuine love and kindness to help someone else, still ring true today. The way the story telling flows from past to present, to explain the reason why things occurred was nicely done by the author Londyn Skye. Although there is profanity and graphic sexual content, the positive aspects of the storyline outweigh these instances. Some of the language used can be attributed to the cultural traditions of the time period. Therefore I recommend this book for a mature adult audience.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The profanity in my opinion was used by the author to illustrate the level of a particular character's anger/rage. The graphic sexual content was used as a tool by the author to show the intense love between Lily and James that stemmed from childhood. The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden will keep you wanting to find out more of what is ahead in the next chapter, and with the shocking unexpected turn of events, you will be left anxiously anticipating the reading of Book Two.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”