Official Review: Caught Up In Imperfect Love

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Caught Up In Imperfect Love

Post by Michele H »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Caught Up In Imperfect Love" by Willie M. Boyd.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Michael meets Gayle when he is seventeen years old. At the time, she is 5 years older and has a boyfriend and a baby. Michael’s first real relationship and experience with love begin when tragedy brings the two together. Michael and Gayle struggle from the beginning due to their age difference, jealousy and intimacy issues. The struggle worsens and leads to infidelity. This imperfect relationship leaves its mark on Michael and affects his relationships for the rest of his life.

Gayle and Michael experience many ups and downs, but things are finally good again when she dumps him without warning. Michael is torn apart but leaves for college as planned and immediately meets someone who helps him move on from Gayle. But the tumultuous relationship with Gayle causes Michael to have a distorted view of love and relationships. As Michael begins to mature, he begins to want kids, marriage, and the whole family experience. Unfortunately for Michael, he continues to find himself caught up in toxic relationships. Will Michael ever find true love? How many imperfect relationships does he have to suffer through until he finds it? Will he ever have the family he yearns for? Follow Michael’s journey in Caught Up In Imperfect Love.

I was interested in this book once I read the title because everyone can relate to a book about bad relationships. Additionally, I am often drawn to books about tragedy and people who overcome life’s obstacles. Unfortunately, in my opinion, this book did not deliver. I struggled to identify a positive aspect of the book. The most positive comment I have is about the ending. The ending was appropriate and did a nice job of coming full circle with the main character as he overcame his relationship obstacles.

I struggled with this book from the beginning for many reasons. There were frequent inconsistencies in the character development. For example, from the start, the relationship with Gayle was not believable. Many of the things that happened in their relationship did not seem realistic based on the characters as developed by the author. I found similar inconsistencies throughout the book. Another example would be that musical lyrics led Michael to make bad decisions in one of his relationships. The power of music and its effect on Michael is introduced at a convenient time for the storyline but is absent throughout the rest of the book. I found this to be the case with the religious element as well. It is not part of the book until it is convenient for creating a happy ending. These are just a few of the character and plot flaws found in this book. I also don’t think the title fits the book. The character’s relationships were not imperfect. Michael’s relationships were toxic and riddled with infidelity and horrible choices by both parties that often had no real motive.

My rating for Caught Up In Imperfect Love by Willie M. Boyd is 2 out of 4 stars. In addition to the above-listed issues, this book has not been professionally edited, which I found to be extremely distracting. The theme of this book is sexual but not erotic. Due to the sexual content, the appropriate audience would be adults who have an interest in reading about dysfunctional relationships.

Caught Up In Imperfect Love
View: on Bookshelves
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I appreciate your honest review . Although you rated this only 2 stars- I am curious to read and review. I’ll have to see how many pages it is.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

It is always disappointing when a book has an interesting idea but is horrible when it comes to the execution. Plot conveniences don’t help either in that department. Thank you for your review.
Krishnajee100
Favorite Book: THE STORY OF MY LIFE
Currently Reading: art of war
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishnajee100.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Krishnajee100 »

Really honest review. The title sounds interesting but the story does not seem that good.
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

I would have expected that a relationship with an older woman would be more mature. I hope to read the novel after the author sorts out the errors.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Shanaian
Favorite Book: Unexpected Enemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanaian.html
Latest Review: Unexpected Enemy by Tim Cagle

Post by Shanaian »

Honest review, thanks. Despite the rating I will read the book. The title seemed interesting.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”