Review by Bergahitaxxxxla -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bergahitaxxxxla
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bergahitaxxxxla.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by Bergahitaxxxxla -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One...

Post by Bergahitaxxxxla »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in the 1800s, when the then superior white race sees black people as nothing but their slaves and property, Londyn Skye’s Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden tells the story of a gifted young mixed-race slave named Lily.

At the tender age of nine, Lily’s father drags her to a slave auction and sells her to the Adams family. Life as a slave in her new master’s plantation is never easy for Lily, particularly whenever she misses her mother. As an escape from her sadness, Lily secretly watches and teaches herself to play piano whenever her master’s wife, Elizabeth, gives a piano lesson to other children. When Elizabeth died, Lily privily takes over the piano and plays her heart out whenever she's alone in the house. However, James, the youngest son of the Adams and Lily’s former friend, discovers her talent when he returns home after six years of medical school.

James sees the potential in Lily, so he put his life and career on hold to help her. He then accompanies Lily to William Werthington, a renowned pianist and someone who openly supports the freeing of black people. Together, the three of them embark on an inspiring musical and romantic journey to the infamous Winter Garden.

Although historical fiction, this book showed how the mere color of one’s skin dictated the contrast of people’s lives in the US during the slavery era. Article of the Slave Code written at the beginning of every chapter piqued my curiosity and enthusiasm, and before I knew it, I was already deeply engrossed in the story.

I took pleasure in the author’s writing style. I’d say her vivid storytelling and ability to channel the characters’ emotions through her words and writing to the readers was what I liked the most in this book. Moreover, I also liked the characters. I had a great time watching Lily flourished into maturity and embraced her talent and the places it can bring her. On the other hand, I often got frustrated with James and his excuses for the things he did in the story. However, I believed that his love and intentions for Lily were pure and genuine. This book felt like a fairy tale. It was romantic, heartwarming, and heart-wrenching.

This book was an eye-opener to people who did not know the severity of racism during the slavery era. While reading this book, I also realized that even if we’re in a free society now, there were still people who feel like they were above everyone else simply because of the color of their skin. The only matter that I frowned upon in this book was its major cliff-hanger ending, but overall, I had a great time reading this story. There was not a thing that I disliked about this book. In my opinion, this was a brilliant and well-written book and I also did not encounter any grammatical error. Therefore I would like to rate this book a perfect score of 4 out of 4 stars.

To conclude, I would highly recommend this book to people who indulge themselves in historical fiction and to people who like to read romance books. However, I don’t recommend this book to younger readers because of its violent, racist, and explicit sexual content.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Vacuuming is Just Indoor Mowing
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The shine by Keith Edwards

Post by MsH2k »

That sounds like it would be a reality check having an article of the Slave Code at the beginning of every chapter. Thank you for your take on this book. :balloon:
"Always be a first-rate version of yourself instead of a second-rate version of somebody else."
Judy Garland
Bergahitaxxxxla
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bergahitaxxxxla.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bergahitaxxxxla »

MsH2k wrote: ↑29 Mar 2021, 01:52 That sounds like it would be a reality check having an article of the Slave Code at the beginning of every chapter. Thank you for your take on this book. :balloon:
This book in fact gave me reality check and made me realize that even though there were STILL issues about racism nowadays, we're still living a better life than those who lived during the slavery era. Thank you for reading and leaving a comment on my review :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”