Official Review: The Elephant Tooth of '95 by Rana Baydoun

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
2021 Reading Goal: 165
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: The Elephant Tooth of '95 by Rana Baydoun
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1

Official Review: The Elephant Tooth of '95 by Rana Baydoun

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Elephant Tooth of '95" by Rana Baydoun.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Not only does Lebanon face many difficulties today, including the explosion in Beirut in August 2020, but it's also a country with a troubled though fascinating history. This is fully reflected in The Elephant Tooth of '95: A Story of Family, Romance, and New Beginnings by Rana Baydoun, which is mostly set in Beirut.

The novel essentially reads like a memoir as we follow the young protagonist Noor Beyrouti, a food science graduate, as she gets her first job as a company sales representative. To start with, she finds it difficult to make sales. Will she learn the knack from her coworker Toni, a handsome business graduate five years her senior? When Noor and Toni start dating, her sister Riwa is horrified because he has not asked her parents' permission. Will Toni prove to be "The One" despite this breach of gentlemanly conduct?

The accounts of relationships and marriages provided fascinating insights into Lebanese culture and customs. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about these from this book. There are many allusions to the country's complex and troubled history. There is a poignant moment when Noor describes a fig tree that was the only one left standing after the Syrian army requisitioned her grandparents' house during the Israeli invasion. All the other trees had been cut down for fuel. These historical details were sometimes sad, but many of Noor's anecdotes were funny.

Often, the two moods combined, for example, in the following passage: "Mom was drinking her Turkish coffee and smoking two cigarettes simultaneously. Uh oh, last time I saw her smoking two cigarettes in parallel was when we were obliged to leave our apartment during one of the civil war battles." (The Elephant Tooth of '95: A Story of Family, Romance, and New Beginnings by Rana Baydoun, p. 83.) Despite the drama, this turned out to be a light-hearted moment because the issue is a do-it-yourself project of Noor's father's. The mother was a wonderfully quirky character; this scene and others featuring her were among my favourites.

In line with the often humorous events, the style was light and straightforward. The author included "mood music" for each chapter in the form of a song. It might be good to add a Spotify playlist if the author doesn't plan to do so already. In general, I'd recommend a round of professional editing as I found many errors, mostly in the area of punctuation.

The errors were not overly distracting, but I also believe the ending could be improved. It seemed rushed; I would have liked more details. As these shortcomings compromised the book somewhat, my rating is three out of four stars. I can recommend it to fans of memoirs as well as to those who like realistic stories rich in historical and cultural detail. If you don't favour memoirs because of their tendency to meander, I can tell you that the anecdotes in this story are so intriguing and funny that you might appreciate this read anyway. There's a fun fact behind the title, for example. Times may sometimes be tough, but there are always new beginnings to be found.

The Elephant Tooth of '95
View: on Bookshelves
Pronouns: she, her
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Wedding Girl
Bookshelf Size: 628
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Don't They Just Set You To Dreaming? by Annette Ilowiecki & Peg Cook
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

I just read that only the tusks are made of ivory. The other elephant teeth are just like ours. I wonder what tooth the book refers to.

I can imagine Noor's mother smoking two cigarettes. I'm also curious about courting rituals in Lebanon.

Wonderful review, as usual!
amrinzaeda
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amrinzaeda.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen

Post by amrinzaeda »

That sounds like a really interesting read! Since the US public education system barely touches on the history of the Middle East, I think this book would be a good start for me to learn about their culture through a non-American-biased lens. Thank you for your excellent review.
KristyKhem
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Breakaway World by Niles Keith

Post by KristyKhem »

I really enjoy memoirs, especially those that include travel adventures and culture. This one sounds really enjoyable. Thanks for your review!
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Joy Phill »

Realistic stories in cultural detail is my thing. I'll try to check this one out. Thanks for a concise review.
Eutoc
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: The Secret Apartment by Tom Garvey

Post by Eutoc »

After the explosion from last year I've had an interest in getting to know more about Lebanon. The setting would definitely retain my interest. Thanks for the review.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ButterscotchCherrie

Miriam Molina wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 10:12 I just read that only the tusks are made of ivory. The other elephant teeth are just like ours. I wonder what tooth the book refers to.

I can imagine Noor's mother smoking two cigarettes. I'm also curious about courting rituals in Lebanon.

Wonderful review, as usual!
The elephant tooth is something unexpected and funny. Many thanks for your comment!
ButterscotchCherrie

amrinzaeda wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 10:26 That sounds like a really interesting read! Since the US public education system barely touches on the history of the Middle East, I think this book would be a good start for me to learn about their culture through a non-American-biased lens. Thank you for your excellent review.
I know - we get information about the political instability, but less about ordinary lives and rebuilding. This provides some insights into that. Thank you for your kind comment!
Wamakima
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Wamakima »

I really chuckled at the word knack. I know it was no pun intended because Toni is her boyfriend, but it's still very funny! I enjoyed your review!
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”