Review by AlexisMommy -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jo...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AlexisMommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexismommy.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by AlexisMommy -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jo...

Post by AlexisMommy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Here is my review for "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye with a score of 4 out of 4.

The story is a historical novel that takes place during the time of slaves and slave trading. The story starts following a young girl named, Lily, and her struggles through her life as a slave. As she gets older, the story starts to envelop different characters that interact with Lily and either are a positive influence on her or a very negative force for her to deal with. Another of the main characters is James. He and Lily grow up together with James being the slave owner's son. Throughout the story of them growing up together you see all the love that they both have for each other, but it is a forbidden love. James' father finds out about their friendship and turns James against Lily in her eyes. He then leaves her and his family and goes off to college. When James comes home, he finds Lily doing something that a slave was not allowed to do and the story speeds up from there having many happy moments and very sad moments.

My favorite character in the book was Lily. My heart ached for her right at the start of the book. She thought that her life as a slave was stable with her mother and her slave-owning father. But in the end her father does the unthinkable and Lily's life story spirals from there. There was no way you couldn't love Lily. I wanted her to be the one to beat the "system". She goes through so much yet always gives second chances.

I gave this book a 4 out of 4, because there was never a dull moment. I didn't want to stop reading as I needed to know what was going to happen at each turn. The characters had such fabulous arcs. There were characters you could really love and ones you really liked to hate. I cheered and I booed at what happened in this book. I especially liked the sections at the front of each chapter that explained the Slave Code. It added a lot more to the story and how you felt about certain situations. Even though they weren't the exact historical codes, just having something to help you experience the book more, added a lot to it. I could not find anything about this book that would need me to point out anything negative. It checked every box: great main characters, fantastic plot, highs and lows and created a world for the reader to be sucked in to.

Any romance/historical reader should pick this one up right away. I do caution that there are some explicit sex scenes and things that occur that may be disturbing or upsetting to some. I am normally not a historical romance reading type, but this book really was quite fantastic.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”