Review by Skwiggle -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Skwiggle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skwiggle.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review by Skwiggle -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journ...

Post by Skwiggle »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye is a historical fiction set in pre-civil war America. It is the first book in the series. This is a tale of Lily, a girl born into slavery, who was torn from her mother and sold at auction to another plantation by her own father. Her new owner has a son, James, who is around the same age as her and they soon become friends. But when Lily’s owner catches James helping her with her work, he pulls his son aside and instructs him on how to treat slaves, putting an end their friendship.

At 17, James leaves to study to become a doctor, leaving Lily alone once again. When he returns home years later, he catches her playing piano, something she has been forbidden to do but has secretly taught herself for years. He informs his father and demands that she be removed from the plantation. Does he not remember the childhood friendship he once shared with her?

The era is not something many of us can actively relate to, so it was extremely helpful to have The Slave Code added into many chapters to give more background to what life was like in those times. It tackles intense themes of love, slavery and doing what is right, even if it goes against your family. The writing style was very eloquent, captivating me in a story so different from my own but one I can empathise with because of how well it was written. The cliff-hanger at the end was brilliant and makes me desperate to read the other books in the series.

I give the book 4 out of 4. The novel is very emotive, it is the story of how a young woman could overcome such horrible circumstances and still make it through with a beautiful gift like her passion for piano playing. I was drawn into each character, I felt like I was on the journey with them. The characters fit in perfectly, the situations Lily experiences, while horrible to consider today, were historically appropriate and very eye-opening.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction, romance novels, or anything with a strong, female lead. Due to the erotic scenes, profanity, racial slurs, and violence, this book is not appropriate for younger readers.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”