Review by Azalea_1012 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jo...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azalea_1012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azalea-1012.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by Azalea_1012 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jo...

Post by Azalea_1012 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prodigy Slave: Journey to Winter Garden is the first book in the historical series by London Skye, exciting and unique storytelling of a teenage girl, Lily, who was sold out at the age of ten and how she tackles everything to commit to a journey towards a happy life. The protagonist works for her master Jesse and develops a skill of playing the piano over time secretly by listening to Jessie's notes. She's one of those female characters that are strong enough to make you feel and relate to them. James, Jesse's brother and Lily's bond is shown in the story very innocently. It touches your heart as you read the conversation of the teenagers. The twist comes into the story when James starts creating a line between them and afterwards is sent to the Medical schools.

Six years later, the two friends meet again, but James's attitude toward Lily has changed, he treats her poorly and always belittle her. To take his unseen revenge, he takes her to Ohio with his father's permission, but a surprise for Lily would be waiting for her there. The reasons behind James's cold attitude, his ignorance of their friendship, every other secret is waiting for its revelation.

The story is well-paced. The romance concept is beautifully approached, and since I've always been a sucker for the one with yearning love line, so I liked the idea very much. Also, the poor conditions of the slaves and how society could be the most disappointing thing in the world, it is all described in the story well. The characters are real, and I liked it very much. Lily is relatable, and I felt proud of her growth from a shy and scared girl to a strong-headed woman. James is a classic hero and has a lot of flaws, but with time, you understand his causes and feelings.

The book contains a lot of mature theme scenarios, but they are not too graphic. There are racial comments to do justice to the period the author is trying to portray. This book is well-edited, and I found very few mistakes in it. The story had me hooked till the end. I can't wait to read the sequel.

I rated this book 4 out of 4 as it's a descriptive book, and is edited very well. I will recommend it to the audience who are more into mature novels, also, to the readers who are a fan of reading the historical fictional stories, it's a perfect catch.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”