Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mycahfra08
Bookshelf Size: 0

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

Post by Mycahfra08 »

I enjoyed the overall message of this novel. The message of people showing a Christ-like love. I did feel that this book kind of dragged on. Angel, the main character, is a prostitute who is rescued from her own prison by Michael Hosea. The story follows much of the story of Hosea and Gomer in The Bible. I would have enjoyed more if the novel more fully built the love story between Angel and Michael. Each time Angel would leave, I felt a little more lost and confused. So, while I enjoyed the overall message, I wish there was a little more of an actual story to the novel.
nurse38

Post by nurse38 »

I also loved the message in this book. However, I never felt like it dragged. I was given this book to read by a coworker and I could not put this book down. I was done reading it in a day.The love between Angel and Micheal is a representation of Gods love for us even though we mess up and reject Him. Micheal keeps loving his wife despite the fact she is imperfect and rejects him. Angel feels guilt for her past and decides she doesn't deserve her husbandand this leads to her leaving so many times. This is similar to how people turn from God because of feelings of guilt. I thought the author did an excellent job of getting the biblical theme across and writing a great love story. I loved how I could relate to both chacaters in different ways. I could understand all of their emotions and I could feel their sorrows and joys. This was my very first book to read by Francine Rivers and it made me seek out more of her books. I really enjoy her style of writing. I believe this book is for anyone who loves reading books about love and its ups and downs.
Mycahfra08

Post by Mycahfra08 »

Nurse38- I agree it is a great message and Francine Rivers does a fabulous job of conveying that message- I just felt like the actual story was lacking. I am glad you were able to really enjoy it. I like a lot more meat and detail :)
kderse
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kderse.html

Post by kderse »

I loved this book here is my review:

In the book Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers we find ourselves in gold country, California in the 1850’s. When a lot of men sold their souls for a bag of gold and women sold their bodies for a bed to sleep in. Angel expects that from men, and along with it betrayal. As she a child she was sold into prostitution and as a child she found she could survive by keeping her hatred alive. Her hatred targeted at the men who use her and then leave her empty and dead inside. Then one day she meets a man named Michael Hosea. A man who always seeks his Fathers heart and obeys God’s call to marry Angel and love her unconditionally. Slowly he defies Angel’s bitter expectations, and despite her resistance her heart begins to heal. With healing can come pain and feelings start to the surface. Angel runs. Runs back to the darkness away from her husbands pursuing love, afraid of the truth she cannot deny any longer. Even though Michael’s love has healed many parts of her the final healing must come from the One who loves her even more than Michael. The One who will never stop loving her and never stop pursuing her.

I recommend this book to teenagers and adults.

While I was living in Mexico I had a friend come visit me that knew I loved books. She brought me this one and asked if I had ever read it. I said I had not because I never had rated or reviewed it on Goodreads. She gave me the book and I dove right in. By the end of chapter two I was convinced I had read the book before. I continued anyways and even though I HAD read it before I read it to the end. Even though I had read it before I have to say it was just as good even excellent as the first time I read it. I am excited to say I found this in Spanish for my foster daughters and they loved it just as much as me. They stayed up all night to finish the book on our trip to Ohio.

This book is a great read and yet a very emotional read. There were many times I closed the book just to cry. The book is based on the bible story of Hosea and Gomer. Just like many stories in the bible there are heartbreaking things in this book: child rape, prostitution, incest. The book shows the truth that there is darkness in this world and we need to embrace the one that is the light of the world.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars.
Alwaystkd
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaystkd.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Alwaystkd »

I loved this book. The message of unconditional love demonstrated throughout the book left a lifelong print on my heart. I think Francine Rivers writes her stories so beautifuly.
Lolababs94
Favorite Author: Mariana Zapata
Favorite Book: The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolababs94.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 11762

Post by Lolababs94 »

Oh my! I love love love this book! I read this book the first time in high school and I've probably read it twice after then. It's a sad yet beautiful story about how unrelenting love can be. I kept expecting Hosea to give up. I mean, I got tired of Angel. That final time she left, I was sure that would be it. He wouldn't go after her anymore, but he did.
Love never gives up!
kayconn17

Post by kayconn17 »

This is one of my all time favorite books! I first read it in high school & have probably read it 5 or 6 times over the years. It never gets old! Not only is the Hosea & Gomer story beautifully told, but the emotional depth to the characters (esp. Sarah) is complex & personal; you really go on the emotional journey with her. I've read most of Francine Rivers' books & I have to say that this is where she really shines--her characters raw & complex emotional journeys are so gripping you really FEEL them. Amazing!
Talisman1

Post by Talisman1 »

The book advises how to thread cautiously in falling into love without knowing well your partner
Tomisin89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Tomisin89 »

Redeeming love is a page turner that cut across race or people. It's an all time book. Doesn't matter how many times have read it, ever relevant. Just love it.
progy

Post by progy »

I really loved the book. It's a simple yet touching depiction of God's unwavering love for us and His patience with us.
Even when we go wrong, He picks us up. Great book indeed. Francine River's books are it!.
progy

Post by progy »

The book is simply amazing and captivating, it can keep you glued to you're done. It's a must read for all, it explains through Angel & Michael's ups and downs the extent of God's undeniable live for us and His compassion towards us. Francine River's books are it!.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I've read one other Francine Rivers book - The Masterpiece. The two share the same kind of love (Rivers is a Christian romance author, I believe). The book was sort of long, but I don't think it necessarily dragged.
marjgado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by marjgado »

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers is a heart warming, captivating book. One of the reasons why I love this book so much is the author's ability to make the Bible characters' Hosea and Gomer very relatable by it's inner complexities, deep struggles and personal confusions. Almost every page makes me think of how real it is, as to how humans interact each other with selfishness, hatred, unforgiveness, and hopelessness (Gomer) paired with generosity, love, forgiveness and hope (Hosea). Every interaction can make my heart skip a beat, take my breath away or teary eyed and cry. This book is one of those you can't forget. A story of love redeemed without a shed of being worthy. A book anyone can relate!
JeanyJean
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by JeanyJean »

This is a very captivating novel. I love the theme of unconditional love is a perfect theme. I love how the story flows without dragging .
Bennete+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bennete.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Bennete+ »

This novel is one of my favorites from Francine Rivers. This fictional version of Gomer's story was the first ever of her works I ever read. The teachings of love for one another and the love of God are expressed so well in the story.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”