Review by Anthony__ -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jour...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
2021 Reading Goal: 80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 339
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Young Men in Harm's Way by Arnold W Krause

Review by Anthony__ -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jour...

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden is a historical romance fiction novel written by Londyn Skye. It’s a story that disturbs the soul and kindles one’s imagination to an era when owing a slave by a privileged honorable family is considered normal.

The book has twenty-three chapters. Lily, a nine-year-old girl, was forcefully taken from her mother (Maya) to be sold into slavery at a Negro auction by a man she got to know was her father on the same day. As a means of escaping her loneliness, she found solace in teaching herself to play her new master’s piano for fourteen years. She was discovered by her master’s son (James), who became her childhood friend. However, a turn of events separated and destroyed their friendship for many years. When James returned from medical school, he convinced his father (Jesse Adams) and took her to Ohio to be punished, unknowing to Lily what awaits her. Why was James doing this? Will this act change Lily’s life irrevocably? Read up to find out James’ intentions.

I am rating the book 4 out of 4 stars because it is highly informative and well researched. The slave code quoted in each chapter of the book made it very realistic. No other historical romance fiction book ever had me wholly absorbed as much as this book did. I must commend the author for creating an intensely character-driven story. She described the incidents in a way that stretches the reader’s imagination. Also, the author’s style of writing is unique and straightforward. The author took readers to the medieval years when rules guide the slaves and their masters. I wondered how a girl like Lily could achieve her dream in such a rigid and inhumane system.

The story is dotted with twists and turns that are filled with suspense. As the story unfolds, the unexpected turns had me glued to the pages. I love everything about this book. And there is nothing I dislike about it. Readers can picture what it feels like to be dehumanized, unaccepted, and unwanted. The heartfelt conversation between Lily and James reminded me of my past relationship. Landon is my favorite character. I admire the fact that he is humorous and intelligent. Also, his excellent managerial skills fueled Lily’s career.

In conclusion, I would recommend this book to people who thought racism is a myth or overrated. Also, people who like historical and romance novels will enjoy this book. However, be warned, if you find anything relating to slavery or the pre-colonial era offensive, this book is not for you. On a final note, this is a well-edited book because I noticed a few grammatical errors, which did not hinder my reading experience.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
katmeynaj345
2021 Reading Goal: 4
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by katmeynaj345 »

Who doesn't love historical romance fiction? I always love such kind of books because they always have twist, turns and even creates suspense. I feel sorry for Lily though her character makes the story interesting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”