Review by houligan19 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jou...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
houligan19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houligan19.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by houligan19 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jou...

Post by houligan19 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Torn from the arms of her pleading mother, Lily’s own father sells her off in the slave market, forever separating her from her mother. She is bought by a cruel master, and is expected to learn to run the Adams house or suffer the beatings. Lily decides to stay strong, and one thing that kept her going was Mrs. Adam’s piano music. The woman of the house had taught piano lessons before she died, and Lily had paid close attention.

One day each week, however, Lily was secretly able to just be a happy young girl. James Adams, the youngest of the Adams’ household had befriended her and they grew to be best friends. They were able to laugh and play and just enjoy each other’s company far from the troubles of the Adams house. Will that friendship be worth all the pain and suffering that will come of it?

The Prodigy Slave, Book 1: Journey to Winter Garden is an enchanting tale of how the strength of a young woman who, with an incredible gift, is able to overcome near impossible obstacles. Londyn Skye did an amazing job immersing her characters and their stories into the times of oppression towards people like Lily, and showing all the obstacles a slave vying for freedom may have faced. “…’Take me back to my maaama! Daaaddyyy! Pleeease!’ Lily erupted, as her new owner began to roll away with her in tow.”

I very much appreciated the portions of the Slave Code that were included at the beginning of many of the chapters. It added gravity to the story, since the Code was harsh and depicted the way slaves were regarded in a time period where they were possessions. Each section of the Code included help to explain how events in the chapter could have actually happened, even though it was part of a fiction novel.

This novel kept me locked in the whole way through with its constant emotional ups and downs. When Lily was in her darker times, she kept dreaming, and when Lily was on top of the world, she could snap right back to bowing down to her “Masa” on command. The sharp contrast of the highs and lows in Lily’s life did not take away her strength, and she never gave up.

If I had to find something that I did not like about the book, I would say that some of the torment that Lily endured was taken a little too far by the other characters in the story. At one point, Lily actually wonders why her being kept in the dark had gone on so long, but I never found out why this happened.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This historical fiction did a wonderful job creating a substantial cast of characters who fit perfectly in the time period they were set into. The storyline keeps you locked in with its dramatic course of events that show how strong a person can really be. This book appears to have been well edited.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction, romance novels, or heroes overcoming intense obstacles. Due to its inappropriate language, sexual scenes, and violence, I feel that this book would not be appropriate for young readers.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”