Review by Pinning_RJ -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jou...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Pinning_RJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinning-rj.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by Pinning_RJ -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jou...

Post by Pinning_RJ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden is the first book in The Prodigy Slave trilogy. This historical romance fiction is set in the 19th century.

Lily is a girl with black skin and hence, a slave under the Adams. Fourteen years ago she was separated from her mother and bought by Jesse Adams at the age of nine. All these years flew by with the help of her mother's memories and James' friendship. James Adams, the youngest son of Jesse Adams, had never seen Lily as anything less than an equal human. Betraying the trust and friendship they had, James left her in the same pathetic state as his father had bought her in. And now after completing his medical school, he has returned home only to get betrayed by Lily's secret. Never could he have imagined the level of hurt this slave could bring him by her very secret of talent. Lily doesn't know how once her friend, and now her master, is going to punish her. It would be worth seeing how the relationship of a master and a slave, who used to be childhood friends, will flourish in these unwanted scenarios of black slavery.

Londyn Skye had beautifully written a tale of romance, love, and deceit. All the characters are individually characterized and never, even once, led to confusion in being remembered. Our lead female protagonist is an emotional but high-spirited young woman. This story is realistic and thus leads to better comprehension and understanding.

What I liked the most was the set up of this story. The surroundings in this book were very down-to-earth in the approach. The author has shown the slavery world with all the aspects in an unbiased way. In some instances, I did feel astonished at the treatment of people in this book, but I knew it was for the sake of the story and presenting a thorough scenario of the 1800s.

At some places in this book, the characters' dialogue pattern changed which was ambiguous. One moment they were talking in an accent and abbreviations like countrymen and the very next moment they are talking like high society English men and women. The author should have either written dialogues similarly for a chapter or followed a similar style throughout the book. This ambiguity did cause me discomfort, but there was nothing that I disliked about the book.

This book is well edited. It still has a few rare errors but not mindful enough to cause any reduction in rating. I would gladly rate this book 4 stars out of 4 stars, as it is well written, intriguing, and certainly, my type of novel. Racial profanities are present throughout the book. This book has mild sexually explicit content. This book is recommended for those who love to read about historical romance fiction, strong lead female character, and adventure and strictly recommended for the adult age group only. I don't recommend this book to those for whom any discomfort or chances of triggers may arise due to thoughts on black slavery, racism, and racial slurs.

On weighing all the pros and cons, I must say, this book is wonderful to read.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”