Review by Chanella14 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jou...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chanella14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanella14.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by Chanella14 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jou...

Post by Chanella14 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prodigy Slave: Journey to Winter Garden is the beginning of the romantic tale of Lily and James in the mid-1800s. Lily is a young Negro slave who was torn out of her mother’s arms at the age of nine by her master and taken to a Negro auction. Lily is sold to Jesse Adams to be his new house slave and it is there she meets James, the youngest son of her new owner. Her relationship with James introduces Lily to friendship, giving her a childhood despite her slave status. Combined with her natural talent of playing the piano, which she discovered on her own unbeknownst by her master or his family, she still has joy in her life. Her life changes again fourteen years after her arrival when James discovers her use of the family piano which she is forbidden to touch. This sets up a chain of events that will forever change the course of their lives.

An enjoyable feature of this novel is how impressive author Londyn Skye, depicted Lily. It is nice to see a female lead who is strong and confident in her abilities, especially considering the time period in which the story takes place. From beginning to end Lily has always been certain of who she is and where she stands in society. In addition to Lily’s character development, Skye also used imagery wonderfully during the scenes related to Lily’s music, which allows the reader to easily picture key moments of the narrative such as the first performance of ‘The Dream Symphony.’

An aspect of the story I did not enjoy is the conclusion. The physical battle between those on opposing sides of slavery and the value of music comes at the very end of the final chapter. The simultaneous attacks at Winter Garden and the Werthington estate are a lot to end such a slow burn novel on. Then, there is James’ apparent betrayal, it is too much of a conflict to close the book. I think it would have been better to end the book by revealing Jesse’s arrival but saving the rest for the sequel.

Overall, I did find the book to be an emotional roller coaster and very entertaining. For this reason, I am giving The Prodigy Slave a 4 out of 4 stars. The revised edition of this novel felt professionally written and edited. I did not find any spelling or grammar errors that did not appear intentional.

I would recommend The Prodigy Slave: Journey to Winter Garden to those ages 18 and over who enjoy historical and interracial romances. The age restriction is recommended due to the sexual content, profanity, and racial slurs used in the novel. Londyn Skye allows the reader to accompany Lily on her journey of self-discovery and her true worth to society.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”