Review by char8026 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
char8026
Currently Reading: Shadow Hunters
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-char8026.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by char8026 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journ...

Post by char8026 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Torn from her mother's arms and then sold at a slave auction by her father at ten years old, Lily becomes a house slave for a poor plantation owner in a small town. The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye is a phenomenal story of love, fame, and, heartbreak in the deep south in the nineteenth century.

Lily becomes the head house slave for plantation owner Jesse Adams. As Lily grows up, she develops a forbidden friendship with the youngest son James. Once, James gets caught down on his hands and knees like a slave, and Lily and James' relationship is never the same. James leaves for medical school and is gone for six years. He comes back and discovers Lily's talent playing the piano. Lily can play the piano by hearing a song once. When Lily is missing her mother, Lily will sneak into the parlor and play. It is on this day, January 14, James has come home from school. He catches Lily playing his mother's beloved piano. James then devises an elaborate scheme to take Lily on an epic adventure.

James finagles a way to get Lily away from Jesse and the plantation. He takes her to a college professor who is a music teacher. Lily becomes the star of an incredible show called Dream Symphony. Lily puts her heart and soul into a performance that becomes the talk of the south. Lily gets a taste of what it is like to be free.

I loved this book. The historical aspect of it rang true for me. I did some research and found it to be accurate. The beginning of each chapter starts with a slave code. As horrifying as they are to read in this day and age, the ones I researched were very true. It gave authenticity to the story. The story moves along at a quick pace. I liked the way the story kept moving. Londyn Skye has a way of making you feel the excitement. I could practically feel the night air, the buzz of energy, and James' love for Lily.

Another aspect that I liked was character development. James and his incredibly soft heart kept me turning pages. Lily's beauty shines right off the page. William and his security band of misfits come to life. Even Jesse and his plantation ways come to life with his horrific treatment of slaves. The characters are inspiring and realistic.

There was not anything that I disliked about the book. The ending will leave you shocked and horrified. I immediately went and bought the second book. I just had to find out what happens.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It seems professionally edited, and I found no errors.

I recommend this book to audiences of young adult and adult ages. There is some sexual, racial, and violent content, so use caution. Overall, this book is a wonderful historical romance with color, excitement, and characters that come alive. The story paints a picture of how it was in the deep south in the 19th century.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”