Review by enne_chavez -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jo...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
enne_chavez
Currently Reading: One Hundred Mistakes
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enne-chavez.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by enne_chavez -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jo...

Post by enne_chavez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lily was born into slavery, even with her father being a white man. She serves loyally to those around her while finding a way to cope with the tragedies of her life by playing the piano in secret. Lily is a truly gifted individual.

Lily was forcefully taken away from her mother at nine years of age and was sold to the Adams family. Lily served the family as their primary slave in taking care of the home. The family's youngest son, James, and Lily became the best of friends in their youth. They would often sneak away to their forest playground. When the pair were sixteen, their friendship was discovered, forcing the dynamic of their relationship to change. Eight years later, James returns from medical school to discover Lily playing his mother's piano. This revelation affected a lot of change for the pair: a slave and a white man.

Will Lily ever see her mother again? Who is William Werthington? What importance does the state of Ohio represent in the book? Will the childhood friendship between Lily and James become a love affair? Will Lily's journey lead to her freedom or back to her enslavement?

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye is a true masterpiece. Readers will be immersed into the world of being a slave with headings before most chapters that entail slave codes, consequences for not adhering to such codes, and definitions that set up a chapter's theme. The author did an amazing job writing with what I can only describe as an accent for each character, giving each character space to have an identity. There is also an outstanding amount a detail provided, so readers will easily bond with each character. At parts of the book, I found myself wanting to be part of the events that were happening because of how the writing impacted me. This book truly transformed me with its beauty and depiction of the realities of what slaves were subjected to.

There is nothing that I disliked about this book. It is a long book, so it took some time to read it through entirely. However, without the length, there would not have been nearly as much detail. There is also a turn of events at the end of the book that will leave readers at a true cliff hanger. Luckily though, this is only the first book of a three-book series, all of which are available!

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I did not find any grammar issues seeing as I read a revised edition. I would recommend this book to readers that are interested in historical romances. There are borderline sensitive topics in the book that revolve around racism, violence, and rape. There is also a great deal of profanity throughout the book and moderate erotica. Because of this, I suggest that readers be over the age of eighteen. This book is a true gem and I highly recommend others read it.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”