Review by Akua Linda 94 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Akua Linda 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akua-linda-94.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review by Akua Linda 94 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: ...

Post by Akua Linda 94 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I used to wonder if ever slaves fell in love with their masters or vice versa and how they go about it when it happens. The Prodigy Slave,Book One: Journey to Winter Garden has given me ideas on how it was like back then, although a work of fiction. I was kept on edge wanting to know how the couple was going to conquer their love amidst personal and social differences.

The book is about a young slave girl who feels unfairly treated and misused. Lily, a daughter to a slave mother and a white father, is sold by her father to a wicked and greedy master when she was a child of only 9 years of age. She becomes friends with James, one of the sons of her master who later fell in love with her. In her new environment she falls in love with music. Through her sharp mind she self-taught herself how to play the piano by sneaking on her master's wife as she teaches other children how to play. Upon the discovery of the relationship between Lily and James, the master severs the friendship and teaches James how slaves are to be treated. He uses threats and blackmail to make James obey him irrespective of how his actions are affecting his son. James went on to pursue medicine and returned home with the mindset of coming to free Lily from the crutches of his wicked father. Fortunately,or unfortunately James chanced upon Lily playing the piano and discovered her unique talent. With his discovery and love for her, he sets out to help her become an achiever against all odds.

I enjoyed reading this book very much. I like how the author,Londyn Skye included the codes regarding slaves and tried to make each chapter correspond to a slave code. I like how she was able to portray the feelings and thoughts of her characters and how she makes all of them come together to produce a unique story. The book has a fair share of both sad and happy moments. They all come together to give it a wonderful balance, one moment you are angry and sad and the next moment you are all smiles.The book was able to convey the nature of slavery at those times very well. It was able to portray how demeaning slavery was, showing how slaves were considered as commodities to be sold and bought.

My only issue with the book is it's many occasional flashbacks.There were some few occasions I became confused till I realized the scenes were flashbacks. I suggest, if possible, the author instead of flashing back some of the scenes, should rather make them follow the normal occurrence of events. For instance, some of the events that happened during the teenage years of Lily and James should be made to follow the chronology of events of the book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is because the book was well written and seemed to have been professionally edited. Also, the book is full of suspense and you would not want to stop reading when you start. I can't wait to start book two.

The book is a historical fiction and
has violence and sexual content. I would therefore recommend it to matured readers who love historical fiction and can stand violence.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hhannahh
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hhannahh »

You captured the details of the book quite well. I read the book recently, and I couldn't put it down once I started. It also had a strong effect on me. Lovely review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”