Review by meena1997 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jour...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
meena1997
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meena1997.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Review by meena1997 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jour...

Post by meena1997 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to the Winter Garden by Londyn Skye is a book set in the Era of Slavery in United States. The book tells us the story of Lily, who is a slave by birth and her journey as a music composer for symphonies. She was sold at a slave auction by her own father after being snatched from her mother. Lily was bought by a plantation owner, Jesse Adams, to assist the old and ailing slave who worked in his plantation. She meets James, the youngest of the owner’s three sons and instantly a pure friendship is born between them. They became the support pillar for each other and shared everything except that fact that Lily played the piano and they love each other.

The childhood friendship that Lily and James shared was broke by Jesse, who finds them together one afternoon, after which the behavior of James changes drastically. Years later, when James returned as a doctor to his father’s plantation, he happens to hear Lily playing the piano. Enraged that his best friend has kept this fact from him, James is hell-bent to punish Lily and takes her with him on his journey to Ohio. This journey turns Lily’s life upside down after she was introduced to William Werthington.

The author has done a commendable job in bringing out the uniqueness in every character she has introduced in the book. The raw emotions that these characters expresses like James jealousy, William’s fatherly love, the interesting sibling banter between William’s twin sons or the loyal friendship between Harrison and James were brought out in an excellent manner.

I can list a number of characters and instances I liked in the book but what I loved the most is the verbal argument of Lily and James that stemmed due to James jealously. A reader can envision the scene clearly, be it the guiltiness in James part or the look Lily had when she understood the reason for their argument. I cannot pinpoint a character or a scene that upsets me.

The book is professionally edited and proofread and has kept the quality and standard for a historic novel. Throughout the book a steady pace is maintained and has borderline profanity. The cliffhanger at the end of the book prompts the readers to read the next installment in the trilogy. There are intense sexual scenes, thus, I would recommend the book for adult readers.

I rate The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to the Winter Garden by Londyn Skye, 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to those who are interested in the romantic stories set in the history.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”