Review by abudaniel28 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jo...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
abudaniel28
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Favorite Book: Masters and Bastards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abudaniel28.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Review by abudaniel28 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jo...

Post by abudaniel28 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye is historical fiction, set in the slavery era in the United States. The days when African Americans were bought and sold at auction blocks and Slave Code was the constitution that governed that society. It was the epoch when slave masters and slave owners were the norms of the day, and, any Negro on the street without being accompanied by a white man or woman must be carrying a document of identification or else be deemed a runaway Negro. The main character — Lily Adams — was born into this system, even though she is the daughter of a Slave, Lily has an uncommon aptitude for piano.

Before going any further, I would warn any prospective readers of The Prodigy Slave that this book contains the use of the term Negro and nigga; it is filled with profanities; it also has plenty of erotic scenes. The novel depicts the harsh realities of the slavery age in the history of the United States. The book shows a lot of emotions: the good, the bad and the ugly ones. Reading this book will make your blood boil sometimes, and make you cry the next instance. Whilst The Prodigy Slave is fictional, Londyn Skye painted a vivid image of the time when blacks were considered just properties and were only good for breeding, working and dying on the plantations. However, if you have mastered your emotions and you could get past all those warnings written above, I promise you that you won’t regret your decision.

There are several things I consider to be a positive aspect of the book. First and foremost is the writing style of the author. The Prodigy Slave contains several flashbacks, but the author doesn’t lose the reader in the midst of these flashbacks. Secondly, I love books whose titles are justifiable by its contents: The Prodigy Slave — is about a Slave who is a prodigy. Furthermore, I am a fan of books that invoke emotional reactions, and this novel manages to bring out all the reactions which I believe the author must have intended. On the other hand, profanities and vulgarism are plenteously used in the novel, so this is definitely a negative aspect in my opinion.

I didn’t notice any typo or grammar error in the book, except for the intentional ones by the author due to the lexicon of that time. The Prodigy Slave is a well-edited and professionally proof-read novel. It has 479 pages, and it is the first out of three in The Prodigy Slave series. Based on the positive aspect of the novel, and the fact that it is error and typo-free, I am compelled to award this particular volume four out of four stars. I am definitely looking forward to reading books two and three of this series.

I would recommend The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye to lovers of history, specifically, American history. I would also recommend it to anyone who is interested in twisted plots and unpredictable endings. That said, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone who loathes the concept of slavery and the thought that the Declaration of Independence, though was a formal document asserting the right of choice, did not extend “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness” to African Americans when it was signed. Finally, even though The Prodigy Slave has an easy-to-read style, I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone trying to learn the English language through the reading of English books, since the novel was set in the 19th century, so the English language of the people in those times was not “grammatically correct” in today's standard.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”