Review by Jaline Gutay -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: J...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaline Gutay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaline-gutay.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Review by Jaline Gutay -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: J...

Post by Jaline Gutay »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prodigy Slave is a beautiful telling of a love story between two people who can't be together because of societal standards. I think this is a timely story as it perfectly shows the hardships and sufferings the Black community went through during the slave period. It is not as informative as a documentary of the slavery period but this is actually able to spread more information and awareness about that times to more people of different age groups. The author did her research and was able to portray the situation perfectly. I felt like I was watching a beautifully written movie.

Lily is the embodiment of the strength and compassion of Black women. Despite all her hardships she was able to push through and have a positve outlook in life. After reading the book I imagined her in a modern setting where she is able to play music to her hearts content and I wished I could go to a concert of hers and listen to her play for hours.

James is the perfect example that although your upbringing and the environment around you influences who you are when you grow up, it doesn't change the fact that a good heart will always shine through.

William is actually my favorite. He reminded me alot of my grandfather old fashioned but also ahead of his time at the same time. He feels like he radiates calm and safe energy and I can see him in our time period with his respectful values and the bold and positive personality. I can easily imagine him calling out other people who are homophobic and sexist without second thought while walking down the street or when he's drinking coffee in a cozy cafe listening to his favorite music.

Reading this was like riding a roller coaster. One moment I feel furious about the injustice of slavery then smiling because of Lily and James's interaction. It brought me to the edge of my seats because I know that whatever Lily and the other black people went through was actually true and it hurts me because alot of the issues they have faced before, they're still faving right now. Hundreds of years after slavery ended.

This book is an eye opener and it showed me a different perspective in life and love. 4 out of 4.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”