Review by scaryeyes_25 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: J...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
scaryeyes_25
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scaryeyes-25.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Review by scaryeyes_25 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: J...

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Lily experienced the unfairness of slavery at the early age of nine. Her master and biological father tore her away from her mother and sold her to the highest bidder, Jesse Adams. From that day on, she knew that Jesse Adams is her new master and forever jailer. As a slave, Lily does not have any rights, but her fascination with the piano pushed her to learn it by memorizing what she hears from Mrs. Adams. And whenever there is an opportunity, Lily plays her heart out. Through the music she plays, she experiences freedom like no other. Lily forgets her past, her present, and her future while playing the piano. The world around her melts away as she drowns herself with the music she creates. Her music is her life. Her music is her secret. That is until her ex-best friend and master, James Adams, caught her playing the piano. And that is when her life starts to change drastically.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden is the first installment of a 3-part series by Londyn Skye. It is about slavery, music, freedom, love, and betrayal. It is a story that brought me to tears while reading the 4-page prologue. I had to stop and give my heart a break from breaking. The whole book gave me a glimpse of how brutal slavery was centuries ago. Everything is irrelevant if your skin is brown. You are not a daughter or a son, or a woman, or a friend. You are just a property, and your master has full control of you.

I cannot think of anything to dislike about this book. But there is so much to like. One is its ability to make me feel every emotion each character is projecting. I cried with Maya. I got angry with Master Levi. I was amazed by how exceptional Lily is on the piano. I rooted for James' love for Lily, but I also hate him for all the heartaches he caused her. I also like the slave code and vocabulary at the start of each chapter. It gave a picture of what is happening as far as the law against or toward a slave is. It added to the flood of emotions that I experienced. And most of all, I like how Londyn placed the sudden twist of events. When I thought all is well, suddenly I was gripped with so much emotion that I had to stop to breathe.

I believe this book was professionally edited because I only found two minor errors. I am happy to give 4 out of 4 stars to The Prodigy Slave Book One. I like how the author weaved the characters together to create this beautiful masterpiece. The hero and heroine are easy to love, while the tormentors are easy to hate. I also commend her for the secondary characters she created. They gave the right amount of support to Lily and James that even if some of them only graced a few pages, they made their mark in my heart.

Due to the erotic scenes, level of brutality, and profanity, I discourage very young readers from picking this book. Some characters also tend to go heavy on their accents, so be warned. I recommend this book to adults that love historical romance and interracial love stories. The Prodigy Slave will make you laugh, dream, cry, love, hate, and cry some more. So, you better brace yourself.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: Deceitful Survival
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: My Cries and My Triumphs by Lisa Bedbak

Post by kdstrack »

It is wonderful when you come across a writer that makes you react to a novel like this! This sounds like a must read - for the whole series! I look forward to reading about Lily and James. Thanks for this amazing recommendation.
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading:

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

kdstrack wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 18:22 It is wonderful when you come across a writer that makes you react to a novel like this! This sounds like a must read - for the whole series! I look forward to reading about Lily and James. Thanks for this amazing recommendation.
Londyn writing style is a gem. I hope you got to experience it as well. Thanks for dropping by.
Chizioboli
2021 Reading Goal: 58
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Evan and Friends Meet the Pirates by Chris Williams

Post by Chizioboli »

I love your review writing style. Not really a fiction fan but your detailed review caught my attention. Thank you for a job well done
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading:

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

Chizioboli wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 14:39 I love your review writing style. Not really a fiction fan but your detailed review caught my attention. Thank you for a job well done
Hey, you 😄
Thanks. I do try my best. Have a nice day.
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html

Post by MarianaFigueira »

Sounds beautiful and intense, very much my type of book. Thanks for the recommendation, sounds like a must-read.Lovely review
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
scaryeyes_25
Currently Reading:

Post by scaryeyes_25 »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 03 Feb 2021, 11:24 Sounds beautiful and intense, very much my type of book. Thanks for the recommendation, sounds like a must-read.Lovely review
Thank you for dropping by. I hope you have a great experience once you read the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”