Review by Miraphery -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jour...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by Miraphery -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Jour...

Post by Miraphery »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Not being around in times when slavery was practiced, we have books and movies that give us a glimpse into what those times were like. The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye is one of them.

Lily is a slave girl bought by Jesse from her father. She was separated from her mom at the age of nine, who being a slave, could do nothing to stop it. Working for Jesse's family was hard for a young girl but she had no choice. There she met Jesse's youngest son, James, who felt pity for her. They became friends and had to hide whenever they were together.

Jesse eventually found out about their friendship and ended it. James who used to be her confidante and best friend started treating her badly like the others. He had to go away to college. He returned after several years and got to see Lily again. Would he continue tormenting her or would they establish a new relationship against the norm?

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden is a book about slavery, romance, family, friendship, and betrayal. It is fiction told in the third person point-of-view. It narrates the injustice meted out to slaves and how they were not considered human. Each chapter began with either a slave code or the definition of a word, these are related to the events in the chapter. The slave code contained how slaves were treated unjustly and the punishments if they violated any rule. I found the codes preposterous. I'm glad slavery was abolished.

I liked the main character, Lily, most. She was kind, strong, and brilliant. She could learn things easily as a result of her photographic memory and this awed me. I easily took a liking to the characters who stood by Lily. It was not difficult to hate those who treated her worse than an animal. Jesse, Lily's master, was a terrible person. At some point, I felt like giving him a resounding slap. My emotions were engaged in this book. The character development was good and I had no issue recognizing a character or mixing up their names. I also admired the bonds of friendship and family in this book. The way they cared for one other and were willing to help one another fulfill their dreams is worth emulating. I didn't observe any error while reading, the editing was flawless.

One thing I didn't like is the inconsistency in the southern accent used by some of the characters. It was confusing at first because sometimes proper English was used for the same character. It is not enough to take a star from its rating though.

It contains profane languages. It has erotic scenes and hence not suitable for children. It is not a religious book although prayer was mentioned at some point.

I rate The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of romance.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sanjus
2021 Reading Goal: 21
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 382
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: Expect No Help: the life and times of Jumpin' Jack Flash by Cesspool Jones
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

This book has a heart touching story of romance between a slave girl and an Aristocrat. Thanks for your insightful review on this book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: Deceitful Survival
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: My Cries and My Triumphs by Lisa Bedbak

Post by kdstrack »

Lily's life as a slave gives readers a view of her life and of how owners treated them. The information about the slave code orients readers as to the power the owners had over these people. I liked the way you described Lily. Thanks for your compelling writing!
OBC Reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by OBC Reviewer »

A nice romantic novel. A tale about loving a slave girl. Should be an interesting read. Thanks for the descriptive review
Miraphery
Currently Reading:

Post by Miraphery »

sanjus wrote: 07 Jan 2021, 12:13 This book has a heart touching story of romance between a slave girl and an Aristocrat. Thanks for your insightful review on this book.
Thank you for your comment
Miraphery
Currently Reading:

Post by Miraphery »

kdstrack wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 20:02 Lily's life as a slave gives readers a view of her life and of how owners treated them. The information about the slave code orients readers as to the power the owners had over these people. I liked the way you described Lily. Thanks for your compelling writing!
Thank you😁
Miraphery
Currently Reading:

Post by Miraphery »

OBC Reviewer wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 02:19 A nice romantic novel. A tale about loving a slave girl. Should be an interesting read. Thanks for the descriptive review
Yes, it is interesting. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”