Review by provy -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
provy
Favorite Book: Until November
Currently Reading: The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-provy.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Review by provy -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey ...

Post by provy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The slave prodigy: Journey to winter garden is the first novel in a trilogy written by London Skye. It is an engaging romance novel that will definitely leave the reader wanting more. This thrilling tale is riddled with so many facets, which is what makes it truly riveting. I found myself hooked from the very first page, as I navigated the story of Lily and her love interest in the book, James. The novel is a perfect example of the lengths to which people will go for love.

Set in the 19th century, the story is that of a young slave called Lily, who has had a hard life, brought on by the fact that she was born as a black person during a time when black people were treated like animals. London Skye tackles the much controversial, yet important issue of slavery and inequality that was popular in America during the 19th century. She highlights the depth at which black people suffered and how they were denied basic human rights. The novel could have been very depressing if it wasn’t for the core theme between Lily and James.

James, born a rich, privileged and fortunate white gentleman, falls for Lily who was his father’s slave. As one can imagine, this does not fare well with James’s father, who is Lily’s owner and he promptly puts an end to their friendship when they are still kids. James undergoes training on how to own slaves and to take his rightful place in society putting an end to his friendship with Lily. Years goes on, James goes to university and Lily’s life remains miserable as a slave. To escape the horror that was her life, Lily learns to play the piano, something that was forbidden in those days. James caught her one day when she is playing, and under the pretence of wanting to bring her to the "breeder", James helps Lily escape his father’s farm and helps her to go after her dream of being a world renowned pianist.

The book is packed with emotion. The reader will definitely feel many emotions when reading this book. I certainly felt anger, hope and delight as I perused the pages of The slave prodigy: Journey to winter garden. The author tries to show how slavery affected black people back when it was still prominent. She even goes into detail on how the privileged people who were against slavery were prosecuted. The novel clearly shows that hate is not an inborn phenomenon, rather, it is something that is taught and can be abolished if people of all races are willing to work together. The book also contains a few love triangles (between Lily, James and MJ) and another one (between Lily, Elijah and James), I thought these love triangles offered a sense of suspense that will make the reader want to read the remaining two books to see how they were resolved. The author also leaves the reader in suspense at the end of the book, which is aa great way to end the first book of a trilogy.

The book does contain a few instances of erotic scenes, but they are not overly graphic and only serve to make the book more entertaining. It also has a few instances of non-borderline swearing, but once again, they do not take away from the enjoyment of the book. This book is extremely well edited with a few typos here and there. People who are fanatics of romance novels will definitely enjoy this book, however, since it contains some swearing and erotic scenes, it might not be suitable for people of certain religions.

Due to my complete enjoyment of this novel and the extra ordinary grammar and the way the story flows, I have decided to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It deserves a perfect rating since the novel has all the facets that a great romance novel should have, with excellent plot twists along the way.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”