Review by Kirsi_78 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi_78
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: My Living Will
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-78.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Review by Kirsi_78 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journ...

Post by Kirsi_78 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever heard new songs playing in your head and be able to play them straight out loud with an instrument? No? Well, me neither. Lily Adams has been blessed with such a gift. Her rare ability to mimic, compose, and play music is unparalleled, and she has all the potential one could need to become a real star. As the story takes place in the 1850s, there is one enormous problem. Lily happens to be a Negro and, even worse, a slave.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye is the first part of a fictional historical romance saga about Lily, a slave girl. She has been stolen away from her mother at nine years of age and sold at an auction to an evil man named Jesse Adams. Her life is nothing but endless labor until the day she becomes friends with her master’s son. James and Lily discover the world around them together and share all their joys and sorrows. Over the years of growing up together, they form a unique bond. Everything comes to a drastic end when James’ father finds out about their friendship. James gets sent away, and Lily is heartbroken over the loss of her best friend. Her days become filled with exhausting duties and endless cruelty. When nobody is around, she finds temporary comfort in her self-learned ability to play the piano. One day James returns and discovers her extraordinary musical talent. It is the beginning of a breathtaking journey that leads Lily to situations never experienced before by any slave.

The author did a brilliant job of capturing the social atmosphere of the 1850s. The rules of the slavery act added at the beginning of every chapter delivered new information to me and widened my understanding of the prevailing circumstances. Different characters successfully represented the variety of layers in the society in those days and were easy to either love or hate. Furthermore, I absolutely loved the storyline of this book as it was full of surprises. Naturally, I do not want to spoil the excitement for others. I’ll only say that the author misled me countless times. Instead of the assumed outcome, the story left me bemused over and over again. After hours of suspenseful moments, the author delivered her successful final punch, which left me out of breath, speechless, and anxious to get my hands on the sequel.

However, I did not enjoy the author's repetitive manner of occasionally speed-forwarding some parts of the story. On the other hand, she gave endless space to scenes that would have lasted only seconds in real life, describing the protagonist's feelings with great detail. It reminded me distantly of watching a soap such as The Bold and the Beautiful. Nonetheless, the storyline of this book captured me completely. Consequently, being occasionally forced to drag through the endless pages with dull descriptions of stagnant moments was somewhat frustrating. Also, I feel obliged to criticize one more thing. Comparing to known history and the slave code presented in the book, some of the events did not seem plausible. I am aware that this book is a work of fiction, but some parts of the story felt overly absurd.

I believe the two main features in an outstanding book are plausibility and unpredictability. As described above, this book partially failed in one but earned my full respect in the other. The editing of this book seemed professional. After taking all these details into account, I am happy to rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I feel that Londyn Skye has a gift almost as great as what Lily has. She has managed to create a fascinating reading experience.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden, is a suitable read for adult readers who enjoy historical romance. However, it is necessary to mention that this book includes some erotic scenes that may not be likable to everyone. The potential reader should also be prepared to read the whole series as the first part is highly addictive.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: Memory Thieves
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

I like books that mislead me and gives me something unexpected. I think this is one among them. Thanks for your wonderful review.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: Alpaca In The Backa’ My Car by Ben Farber

Post by khaulah »

I was hesitant to read this one and was kind of expecting Implausibility. Thanks to your thorough analysis of the book, I now know what to expect.
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

Bookishkrish24 wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 05:38 I like books that mislead me and gives me something unexpected. I think this is one among them. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Then we have something in common :) This book really managed to surprise me multiple times. I hope you’ll find it enjoyable too!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

khaulah wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 05:52 I was hesitant to read this one and was kind of expecting Implausibility. Thanks to your thorough analysis of the book, I now know what to expect.
This was a good book nevertheless. If you enjoy historical romance, it is worthy of your time! Thanks for your kind words :tiphat:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Under the Weather by John Avanzato

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a fascinating book. It is too bad the plausibility aspect of it is not as good as the unpredictability aspect. It does still seem like something I would enjoy. Thanks for a great review!
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by topdan30 »

Great review. You did a good job. This book seems like a book I will enjoy.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

Prisallen wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 09:14 This sounds like a fascinating book. It is too bad the plausibility aspect of it is not as good as the unpredictability aspect. It does still seem like something I would enjoy. Thanks for a great review!
I couldn't put this book down once I had started reading. That doesn't happen all that often... :D I am sure you would enjoy it too! Thanks for your kind words!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

topdan30 wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 09:35 Great review. You did a good job. This book seems like a book I will enjoy.
Thanks very much for your kind and encouraging comment! :tiphat:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Mythical Creatures and Magical Beasts
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Blood Vengeance by Charles Alexander

Post by NetMassimo »

Historical fiction is not my thing, but this novel seems great in explaining a certain period of American history with its dark side. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
OBC Reviewer
2021 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by OBC Reviewer »

I am not much into romantic novels, so I will pass on this one. But I enjoyed your review. Thank you
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Happy Endings
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: The Tale of Meadow Grove by Lynn D. Wheeler

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I do enjoy historical romance sagas and stories that offer revolutionary shifts in perspective. Discovering you are a piano prodigy would have to be a gift in and of itself, regardless of whatever oppressive life circumstances you may find yourself in. Thanks for your lovely analysis!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

NetMassimo wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 07:43 Historical fiction is not my thing, but this novel seems great in explaining a certain period of American history with its dark side. Thank you for your great review!
I certainly learned a lot about this period of American history through this book. That is exactly why I love historical fiction, if you're lucky, you get a great story and on top of that you learn a lot :wink:

Thanks for commenting!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

OBC Reviewer wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 09:05 I am not much into romantic novels, so I will pass on this one. But I enjoyed your review. Thank you
Thanks for your sweet words!
Kirsi_78

Post by Kirsi_78 »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 12:53 I do enjoy historical romance sagas and stories that offer revolutionary shifts in perspective. Discovering you are a piano prodigy would have to be a gift in and of itself, regardless of whatever oppressive life circumstances you may find yourself in. Thanks for your lovely analysis!
You're certainly right about that. Thanks for your kind words!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”