Review by Kogeii -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kogeii
2021 Reading Goal: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kogeii.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review by Kogeii -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey...

Post by Kogeii »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Prodigy Slave, Book one: Journey to winter garden is a historical fiction about a young slave who challenged societal norms and beliefs through her unique abilities. Lily was torn apart from her mother at a very young age by her father who apparently was their white owner. Her father placed her on an auction block, and she was sold to the highest bidder, Jesse. The rest of her life was spent cleaning and scrubbing as Jesse pleased until James, Jesse's last-born son, discovered her unique talent of playing the piano. The book illustrates Lily's journey as she rose from being a mere slave to a dignified woman in the society who touched the hearts of people from all walks of life through her performances.

This book depicts how patriarchy has been in existence since time immemorial. Men like Tucker McCormick cannot believe that a woman such as Lily can bear such a God-given gift. Throughout the book he insults her race and objectifies Lily to quench his frustration of not having her perform his own bidding whether sexually or salvaging his collapsing theatre. His pride and egocentric nature drive him to create hindrances for Lily’s success. With the help of other characters in the book such as Landon and William, Lily remains undeterred and breaks down the numerous barriers along her way.

The Prodigy Slave, Book one: Journey to winter garden takes us back in time to when slavery was the norm in the world, especially the United States. It clearly illustrates how the black people were subjected to a life of suffering by their white counterparts. The black folk, referred to as Negroes in the book, were treated no better than animals. A slave code was enacted that determined how slaves should be treated and punished. Lily proved to be a force to reckon with by challenging the notion that Negroes are a lesser race.

What I liked most about the book was how the plot transitioned flawlessly from scene to scene. The plot was full of suspense and it gripped my attention from the very beginning. I simply could not bring myself to place the book down.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars since it was exceptionally well edited, and I would highly recommend it to others to read. There were many instances of profanity, vulgarity and use of racial slur. Therefore, I recommend this book to adults.

The Prodigy Slave, Book one: Journey to winter garden is one of the most mind-blowing books I have ever read. I am eagerly anticipating reading the other books in the trilogy. Londyn Skye is an amazing writer and her creativity is beyond any unreasonable doubt. Her book is a breath of fresh air and it helped me escape the mundane bits of day-to-day life.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”