Review by Miller56 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: The Hunt by Alainna MacPherson

Review by Miller56 -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journ...

Post by Miller56 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What is the price of freedom? Are we ever completely free to love who we want? Lily is a mulatto born to a slave and fathered by the slave owner. Her father ripped her away from her mother and sold her on the slave block. She was purchased by a mean man with three boys. Two were equally as mean, but one seemed to be very different. The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye is the story of Lily, as she works for her owner, befriends the son, and becomes an incredible artist.

The characters in this book are well-developed. The author makes it easy to become part of the conversations. It is easy to picture yourself in the scenarios. I felt like I was part of the story. I especially enjoyed the story of Lily. I can’t imagine what life was like for slaves. They were treated like animals, but many of them were extremely intelligent and talented. Unfortunately, they were never given the chance to shine. In this story, Lily is given an opportunity. I appreciated her ability to remain humble and kind to everyone, even when success was knocking at her door. She dreamed big dreams, had major goals, but was always thankful for the small things in life. She never took anything for granted and was truly a considerate, kind person. I appreciated these character traits. I also liked William Werthington. He was willing to stand up for people. He never strayed from who he was and stayed true to himself. I appreciated that he kept his word and did not turn his back on people. Most people would have taken the easy road in many of the situations, but he never did.

I do not normally read steamy romance novels. I would prefer to not read graphic sex scenes. This book contained graphic sex scenes that did not add to the story. I think the message could have been presented without the details. However, I do understand some people enjoy these types of novels. The other thing I struggled with while reading was the dialect. I realize that Lily was taught to read, but she quickly appeared to sound more educated than others around her. I also found James’ dialect a little off. He was an educated doctor, but often spoke in a less educated tone than the slaves. I appreciated that the author captured the dialect of the time, but I think that if you were a doctor, you probably did not speak the same as a slave.

The book is well written and has been edited. The story is interesting and held my attention. I am sure that there were many times when the slave owners found romance and possibly love with the slaves. I really appreciated that the author began each chapter with an excerpt from the “Slaves Code”. This helped provide a background of the relationship between slaves and owners. I think it helped to provide an understanding of the “boundaries” of that time. Based on the story and lack of significant errors, I gladly give the book 4 out of 4 stars. I am anxious to read the next book in the series to find out whether I like James or not.

I recommend this book to those who like historical romance. The book does have graphic sex scenes and vulgar language. Therefore, it is inappropriate for anyone other than mature adults. This book is appropriate for all religions. However, the sex scenes and language makes the book difficult for most religious people to thoroughly enjoy.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”