Review by Maybemal -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maybemal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maybemal.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Maybemal -- The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journ...

Post by Maybemal »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

‘Human action can be modified to some extent but human nature cannot be changed,’ Abraham Lincoln.

When Lilly was nine years old, she was snatched from the arms of her enslaved mother and auctioned off to a plantation owner, Jesse. For most of her life, she worked there with Jesse’s youngest son James as her only friend but the duo is separated when James turns cold after his father finds out about their friendship.

Years later James comes back from medical school and discovers her hidden musical talent. In a bid to help her, he takes her to a renowned musician who immediately sees her worth. Together, they explore the hidden depths of her talent and explore the vast world of music that takes her to places she could not have imagined. Despite all this one fact remains, Lily is a slave and she has no rights under the law.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye isn’t your typical slave and master romance novel. It is an inspiring story about a woman who against all odds chases her dreams and becomes one of the greatest musicians the world has ever known. It is about a small group of people who look beyond the color of one’s skin as the defining factor about who they are.

I liked the imagery the author used. The descriptions are spot on and they transport you to a whole different world. She divulges the emotions of the characters and this makes you empathize deeply with what they are feeling.

The most stimulating character to me is William, Lily’s mentor. His role is quite inspiring as he ignores societal expectations and chooses to view black people as his fellow human beings rather than glorified animals. He treats everyone equally and goes out of his way to help Lily achieve her maximum potential.

The book has good use of grammar and proper sentence formation. It also has a few descriptive sex scenes and racial slurs. The novel features minor instances of physical abuse, torture, and murder. I enjoyed the book and I rate it 4 out of 4. The book is highly entertaining and very informative about the inhumane treatment of slaves in the 1800s. Through Lily, the author illustrates the theme of resilience, hard work, and determination. The plot is riveting and most importantly, highly unpredictable. I would recommend the book to anyone who likes a good old historical fiction romance drama.

The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”