Official Review: Double Redemption by Francis Gene Collins

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Official Review: Double Redemption by Francis Gene Collins

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Double Redemption" by Francis Gene Collins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As a nineteenth-century literature fan, I'd be impressed if a mechanic made a reference to Coleridge. So, like Emma, the heroine of the romance novel Double Redemption by Francis Gene Collins, I was hooked on hero Mike right away. He assures her he's read the complete works of Charles Dickens and the other classics adorning his apartment.

This story is as much about the past as it is about the present. It's told in the first person from either Mike's point of view or Emma's, and the action switches between their backstories and their evolving relationship now. Emma's experiences have left her afraid to trust again. Mike's childhood was suitably Dickensian. As a hungry and unwanted orphan, he got into trouble on Skid Row. His refusal to cry out during a severe assault revealed a character trait that is crucial to the story.

A tall, muscular US Marine, he's quite a stereotypical heartthrob. He and Emma meet in a parking lot when her car won't start, and Mike helps her. This conforms to the trope of a knight rescuing a damsel in distress. Mike's dark past and tragic flaw represent other romance staples. I had a strong initial impression that the story was built upon a formula. Don't get me wrong - there's nothing negative about that per se. Even as I was conscious of the skeleton, the flesh the writer put on the bones was what mattered. Collins did a great job of adding original ingredients, and he created engaging characters. I thought the tension between Mike and Emma was building up to steamy scenes, but I was wrong.

In that regard, this would not be the book of choice for those in search of erotica. The storylines unfolded with complexity and variety, and the tropes were left behind. The characters' past traumas were explored alongside their opportunities for healing. I could recommend this to lovers of romance and most kinds of fiction. The style is transparent and lively. There are mysteries at the novel's core. It might not be suitable for very young or sensitive readers as it includes references to sexual assault, graphic violence, and profanity. Indeed, profanity is one of the central themes.

Another is literature, which was one of the aspects I liked best. Entire poems are featured. It is fascinating to see the characters gaining self-knowledge through fiction. A huge strength of this book is the final denouement, and I recommend reading it for that alone. It's even preceded by a scene that will make you smile if you know your nineteenth-century romances. The mysteries are neatly cleared up by the end.

Amazing as its plot, characters, and ending are, my rating for the book overall is three out of four stars. I deducted a star owing to some shortcomings, mainly in the area of editing. There were missing words and other errors that a spellchecker would not find. Some editing or beta reading of the content would also be helpful. Sometimes near-identical sentences were repeated within a few lines of each other, or a scene already familiar to the reader was retold by a character without seeming to add anything.

One of these chapters went into excessive detail about football, though sports fans might enjoy it. Alongside sporting prowess, military know-how is another theme. I understand that parts of Mike's knowledge would be obscure to outsiders. However, the author took Emma's ignorance of the subject too far, and the implausibility was jarring. It is easy to guess what is meant by the "burst radius" of a grenade, and who hasn't heard of an AK-47 rifle?

This aside, Emma was a strong and believable heroine. At his best, Collins had a way of depicting the characters from different angles that any great nineteenth-century writer would have been proud of. This novel has earned its place on a shelf beside the classics.

Double Redemption
View: on Bookshelves
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

I feel like this book isn't complete. It seems like it wasn't well edited and there is no cover. Otherwise it's a great story. Thanks for the amazing review!
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Awesomeliker wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 02:46 I feel like this book isn't complete. It seems like it wasn't well edited and there is no cover. Otherwise it's a great story. Thanks for the amazing review!
The power of professional editors versus spellcheckers should not be underestimated! It read well generally, but the inevitable errors came up. Thanks for your comment. I will have a go at uploading a cover.
Mod
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I don't gravitate towards romances, but your review makes me want to read this one. The author even uses an Austen heroine's name. I've not read a lot of 19th-century classics. It would be fun to see if I will recognize that part that made you smile. Too bad the author missed that fourth star. But I believe he will be mighty flattered by this review.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Miriam Molina wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 08:23 I don't gravitate towards romances, but your review makes me want to read this one. The author even uses an Austen heroine's name. I've not read a lot of 19th-century classics. It would be fun to see if I will recognize that part that made you smile. Too bad the author missed that fourth star. But I believe he will be mighty flattered by this review.
It was superbly constructed, and I'm sure the author is glad I spotted the literary references. I uploaded the cover to the Bookshelves page, but it doesn't seem to have carried over to here, unfortunately.

Thank you for your kind comment!
Mod
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

I enjoy romance novels and from this review, I'm sure I'll find this book interesting. However, errors have a way of reducing one's interest in a book. The author should employ the services of an editor.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Faithy_Star wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 10:57 I enjoy romance novels and from this review, I'm sure I'll find this book interesting. However, errors have a way of reducing one's interest in a book. The author should employ the services of an editor.
It wasn't too bad overall, but there were homophone errors and such. Thanks for commenting!
Mod
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

I like that the author introduced the "past" of the characters and their possible "future" states in their opportunities for healing. It shows a strong character development.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Eutoc wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 16:48 I like that the author introduced the "past" of the characters and their possible "future" states in their opportunities for healing. It shows a strong character development.
That worked well in this book. Thank you for your comment!
Mod
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

I am already smitten with the US Marine who actually reads. I would love to read this book. Thanks for the great review!
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

What a unique combination of elements in this book! I can think of no one better to help with a car that won’t start than a handsome, tall, muscular Marine who reads classic nineteenth-century literature. I enjoyed your thoughtful review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

Yes, I agree. This book strikes me as a classic. I'm reading a similar book right now. The plot revives my drive and I'll be adding this to my shelves. Thanks for your analysis, Butterscotchcherrie
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times
Fozia RYK
Currently Reading: Scalpels Out
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Fozia RYK »

Social event guidelines of firefighting that could be applied to master and individual lives is fantastic. I was unable to have ever had the alternative to relate the two. I'd like to scrutinize the book, and their contribution with the field makes it splendid. Good review you have given.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

You had me at Charles Dickens lol. I really like stories that offer a chance of redemption to their characters, and I think this story is definitely one of them.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

anua24060 wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 00:05 I am already smitten with the US Marine who actually reads. I would love to read this book. Thanks for the great review!
Enjoy! Thanks for your comment.
Mod

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”