Review by Jennykorth -- The Raven's Trail (Book 1)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennykorth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennykorth.html
Latest Review: The Royal Secret by john bentley

Review by Jennykorth -- The Raven's Trail (Book 1)

Post by Jennykorth »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Raven's Trail (Book 1)" by Liz D. Marx.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Raven’s Tail (Book 1) by Liz D Marx provides a story of a connection that endures through time and the pathway to gain atonement and to correct old mistakes. A Native American tribe, Tula, guardians of Mantaka or the Valley of Vapors are betrayed by their young prince Kaye. When he realizes his mistake, Adsila his soulmate and the daughter of the tribe’s spiritual leader, and who has magic in her blood, condemns him to immortality to live with the pain and penance. 200 years later, a young historian who has been plagued by visions and dreams since a young child, comes across an ancient artifact that responds to her touch. She then finds herself in the middle of a conflict that has been brewing for almost two centuries and on a mission of a lifetime.

I enjoyed how the mystery and intrigue to solve the mystery of the artifact while evading the people who are willing to kill to get their hands on the Binding Stones. Marx did a great job at weaving the present with the past and tie together the various characters throughout. There were enough descriptions of the scenes and most of the characters to be able to connect and feel as if you were there. The story had me hooked in the opening scene of the first chapter and I could not put it down until the end.

This is a book that would appeal to young adult readers. While some of the romantic scenes alluded to specific acts, there was no explicit erotic scenes. The few profane words were very minor and no worse than what you would hear in a PG rated movie. It was a quick read. It also did not have a lot of difficult or obscure words that you don’t hear in normal lift. There were some specific words that tied to the language of the ancient tribe, but these were defined and not distracting to the narrative of the story.

The only thing that I disliked about the books is that the author touches the surface of some the storylines which may have helped build to the intensity and intrigue throughout. Specifically, the motivation for Captain Clarke to go after the stones and more of his role throughout the book. I would also have wanted to learn more about Johnny as that is a character that could have played a larger role.

I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The length and level of detail in the storyline I believe appropriate for what I am assuming is the intended audience and age range and it was very enjoyable to read. This was a well written book with no observed typos or grammatical errors. If you like a quick read and similar genres with mystery, magic and a love story entwined; then this is a book you’ll enjoy.

The Raven's Trail (Book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
angelmuktar
Currently Reading: The Binding Stone
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by angelmuktar »

"Marx did a great job at weaving the present with the past and tie together the various characters throughout." (Paragraph 2) I completely agree with you on this. I finished the book a couple of days ago and I still think about it. The author did an amazing job. I am super excited to start the second book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”