Official Review: "Last Chance"

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Official Review: "Last Chance"

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Last Chance"" by Gwendolyn Morey Skeens.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Last Chance" by Gwendolyn Morey Skeens is a romantic novel about Parker, who has to run the family farm after his parents die. His older brother, Paul, is in the Navy and unable to help with the farm. Parker hires Brenda to help with the farm’s paperwork, and they become fond of each. During the Christmas holidays, Mary Louise (Artsy) returns home from New York to visit her parents. Parker and Artsy fall in love; Paul, who is on leave from the Navy, falls in love with Brenda. After the holidays, Artsy has to return to her job as a curator at the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art. As Paul prepares to return to the Navy, he tells Parker that he plans to retire from the Navy after he completes his ten years and return to the farm. Parker wonders if that means he can pursue his dream of obtaining an engineering degree. Paul warns Parker that Artsy is out of his league with her big city life. Can Parker and Antsy adapt to each other’s environments? How will they choose between city and farm life? Can their love survive a long-distance relationship? Will Parker be able to pursue his dream of obtaining an engineering degree?

There are many facets to this book. You will read about modern farm techniques, nutrient management for crops, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, suicide, the complex physical and intelligent skills needed for farming, the Statute of Liberty, and how the loss of crops from tornadoes can be devastating to farmers. Many of the new modern techniques of farming prevent loss from insects using techniques other than insecticide. Soil erosion has a big impact on future crops. However, nothing you do can prevent disaster from Mother Nature. I agree with the author that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. What may be devastating today may change tomorrow, or the next day, week, or month. Suicide cannot be changed. There is no going back.

I enjoyed this book immensely because there were no errors, the short chapters kept the plot flowing, and my interest was caught at the beginning of the book. I cannot imagine what it was like for Parker when he took over the farm at 19 years of age. That is a lot of responsibility for a 19-year-old. I had to admire his tenacity to make it work and give up his dreams to keep a farm that had been in his family for generations. I don’t know many 19-year-olds who would have done that. There was nothing I disliked about the book.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes a good romance. There is no profanity and only one sentence that has borderline exotic sexual content. Atheists may not like the book because the characters are Christians who attend church. There are a few Spanish words in the book, but they are either defined, or the content makes the meaning clear.

This well-written book has no typographical or grammatical errors, so I believe it has been professionally edited. I gladly give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

"Last Chance"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

Thanks for the detailed summary and well-written review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

This one seems interesting. Young romance is usually deep and adventurous. Thanks for the review!
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

The plot is different and quite unique. Thanks for the informative review.
MimiReads4U
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by MimiReads4U »

I love a good romance novel without all the raunchy stuff. Can't wait to read! Sounds delightful!
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

What an adventures romance novel. Thanks for the review.
les066
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by les066 »

I love this book because it made me realize how beautiful is love.
Last edited by les066 on 28 Nov 2020, 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Seems like an interesting read. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”