Review by Chogy -- Sugar & Spice by H M Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chogy.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Chogy -- Sugar & Spice by H M Irwing

Post by Chogy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sugar & Spice" by H M Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sugar & Spice by H M Irwing, is the third book in Little Sisters’ series. It is a romance novel with somewhat typical and unique characters. This is the first book I have read in this series. The story mainly revolves around Catherine (Cat) Little and Sadiq al Fayyad, the Saudi prince.

The story starts with introduction of how the Little twins grew up and their different perspectives and different levels of maturity at young age along with different ambitions. The author portrays Cat as someone sensible, interested in science, medicine and anything her logical mind doesn’t find tedious. As the twins grow, Cat graduates earlier than her twin and is planning for enrolling in med school. At the new year’s eve party, she meets Sadiq where the intense attraction between them compels them to hook up. For always logical Cat, the encounter leaves her somewhat confused yet yearning for more. Cat finds out she is pregnant but is determined to continue her dreams. When she finds out Sadiq is a prince, things don’t go so well, which worsens when the prince decides to kidnap her from her own home.

What I absolutely loved is how Cat refused to marry Sadiq just because she got pregnant. I also admire her courage to continue with her dreams and keep the baby. What I loved most was that, Cat knew her parents and family would support and love her regardless of her being pregnant. This might be because of her logical thinking or her parents’ way of raising them or both. I also love how the sisters are so different yet so close.

I was kind of amazed and confused when the story was taken to Saudi and it felt like I was reading another book. Although Sadiq’s actions were somewhat justified, they were quite infuriating at first.

The thing in this story that made me frown was their age. Although I love reading romance with age gaps, I prefer if both of the partners are legal. Cat being a teenager and Sadiq in his late 20s was something I had difficulty getting used to. The only reason I was able to get over this fact was that Cat is mature for her age and very logical.

I believe this story would be appealing to romance readers who like headstrong, independent and intelligent characters. However the use of profanity and presence of erotic content makes it suitable for readers of older age group. I found only few minor errors that didn’t discourage me to continue reading. So, I do believe this book to be professionally edited. The story was not cliché at all. With some confusing aspects of the book along with a good plot, I give Sugar and Spice 3 out of 4 stars.

Sugar & Spice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”