Official Review: Old Sins by Jaylynn Wylie

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Old Sins by Jaylynn Wylie

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Old Sins" by Jaylynn Wylie.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Even though Jaylynn Wylie took me on a delightful journey with her romance novel Old Sins, the road was so full of mistakes that I felt like there was a pothole every few feet. I am glad that I hung on for the bumpy ride because the main characters were endearing, but I did think of giving up several times.

Rye and Cat are the stars in this saga. Overcoming obstacles and holding on when the odds are against you is a familiar theme, but this one has a bit of a twist. Unlike characters who come of age in a bildungsroman, this couple is well past the age of puberty. Rye, an attractive man, suffers from low self-esteem due to being raised in a motorcycle gang. He is stoic and often speaks in a caveman dialect by eliminating personal pronouns. Rye was a Ranger in Afghanistan and spent 17 days stranded behind enemy lines helping an injured buddy to escape. He is now an attractive, successful business owner. Cat, also attractive, suffers in a different way as a result of her childhood and uses sarcasm and humor to hide her pain. She, too, is a veteran. Cat is currently a medical assistant and spends her shifts in a helicopter transporting dying patients; sometimes they don't make it. These two meet accidentally when Cat literally runs into Rye in a bar when she is out with her two best girlfriends. The sparks continue to fly as the couple tries to negotiate their way into each other's lives.

The first 10 chapters could be considered foreplay with the first climax taking place in chapter 11, and then multiple climaxes occur in almost every chapter after that first one. While the sex was hot and steamy, it wasn't vulgar or overly erotic. Euphemisms were sometimes used such as "lady bits" for female anatomy. Symbolically, the growth of the relationship is echoed in the couple's physical antics. Reading these parts also helped to explain how their "old sins" affected their current lives. The sexual component was my least favorite part of the story. I personally think the story would have been better without the bedroom play-by-play, but I am sure it will appeal to some readers.

My favorite part was the sensory writing style. I could visualize Rye's run-down trailer house, his custom car shop, and the scene at Cat's house when her parents arrive unexpectedly and meet Rye for the first time. I could feel the emotional release as Rye shared his backstory with Cat and the fear he felt when he thought he had lost her. Wylie also uses scent in clever ways such as when Rye sniffs Cat's unique smell of the day from her various fruit shampoos and body washes. Since both characters own and ride motorcycles, all the sounds associated with them are included. Of course, all five senses are authentically described in the intimate scenes.

Due to its profanity and sexual content, I can only recommend this to readers who enjoy R-rated entertainment. Because I found more than ten errors in the first five pages, and the number increased exponentially in the remaining 30 chapters, I am deducting one star for lack of editing and another star for readability. Sentences such as: "The primary reason was he was enjoying it was Cat..." and "The drinks and laughter we flowing liberally..." hindered comprehension. The author's intention appears to be to start a series since this one is referred to as book one in the Old Series. I hope Wylie finds an editor before the next book comes out. If she does, her rating should be higher than the two out of four that I am giving her.

Old Sins
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

This is indeed a twist to the usual romance stories. I'd like to give it a trial (preferably after it's been edited). This should be an interesting series.
And, this review is a really good one. I could feel the characters through this review. Nice job.
Live and let live, baby.
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

I like your writing style. Well-done
ValeriaU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeriau.html
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

Post by ValeriaU »

This sounds like an interesting romantic story, it's a shame about the lack of editing. I enjoyed the review, it was very clear and engaging.
“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
― Stephen King, Different Seasons
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

A good take on the romance genre with the plot but I might skip it. Your rating and the reasons for the rating were explained honestly and in-depth so I really appreciate the review. Really great work!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

AnnOgochukwu wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 02:55 This is indeed a twist to the usual romance stories. I'd like to give it a trial (preferably after it's been edited). This should be an interesting series.
And, this review is a really good one. I could feel the characters through this review. Nice job.
What a sweet comment. Thank you.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Ify_Reviewer wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 07:41 I like your writing style. Well-done
Thank you for your comment.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

ValeriaU wrote: 18 Sep 2020, 15:07 This sounds like an interesting romantic story, it's a shame about the lack of editing. I enjoyed the review, it was very clear and engaging.
I hope that the author has it edited. She is a talented author.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

SamaylaM wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 00:57 A good take on the romance genre with the plot but I might skip it. Your rating and the reasons for the rating were explained honestly and in-depth so I really appreciate the review. Really great work!
I wish I could have rated it higher, but there were just too many errors. Thanks for commenting.
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Abi_kanda »

"But I am sure it will appeal to some readers". Well I am that reader. Great review!
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

Great review! I hope the editing problem has been fixed because I want to give the book a try.
HannahsReads
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahsreads.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by HannahsReads »

I love your description of the errors in the book as feeling like potholes in a road! This sounds like such an engaging, character-driven book. Hopefully the author will have it edited.
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

I love romance novel so much that i would have loved to read this, but i will bypass till it's edited.
Nice review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.
saru_mwamburi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by saru_mwamburi »

I am definitely getting this book, after it has been edited that is. The fact that both main characters are veterans makes it interesting. Can't wait.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”