Official Review: Pick Me! by Lyric Spencer

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Official Review: Pick Me! by Lyric Spencer

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pick Me!" by Lyric Spencer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pick Me! by Lyric Spencer tells the story of three independent women. They are best friends and very supportive of one another. The book begins with Nivea and her sister, Kai, attending the wedding of their friend, Desiree. Desiree is marrying the father of her children, but he is not the man of her dreams. She would like to be a stay-at-home mom, but he isn’t interested in finding a job. She worries about being a good wife and mother while also being the sole breadwinner in the family. Kai is desperately trying to find Mr. Right in local bars and on Tinder. Nivea has a committed relationship and lives with her boyfriend, Alonso. However, Alonso is content with Nivea supporting them both and providing him with expensive clothes and gifts. He has no ambition to obtain a better job or settle down and get married.

The character of Nivea is a central character in the book. We watch her struggle to keep a man that isn’t worth her time. She reaches a point where she has invested years in the relationship and refuses to give up on it. Even though she can see how one-sided the relationship is, she wants to keep moving forward in her life with him at her side. She toys with the idea of proposing to him since he doesn’t seem interested in proposing to her.

The book took a very interesting look at modern relationships and the traditional gender roles associated with them. My favorite aspect of the book was the relationships between the characters. The women were very supportive and leaned on one another in difficult times. What I liked least about the book was the profanity. I would caution readers that are sensitive to profanity and sexual situations that this book might not be for you.

This book is an entertaining and enlightening look at modern romance. The characters are well developed and relatable. The female characters are genuinely interested in finding love. They want to settle down and have families but are experiencing obstacles to finding true happiness. The dilemma they face is what many successful women experience today. Juggling work and family is a struggle for most women who don’t want to neglect any aspect of their lives.

I would recommend this book to adults and readers who enjoy romance novels. The women in the book were realistic and relatable. I enjoyed reading about their lives and their struggles. I was delighted to see that this is the first book in a series. I look forward to reading more about Nivea, Desiree and Kai in the future. I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. There were several errors in the book that prevent me from giving the book a perfect score. With additional editing, the story is worthy of 4 stars.

Pick Me!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

When I saw the title I knew this was a romance book, but I wasn't sure that I would like it. I am still sitting on the fence about reading this book. But I do appreciate it's take on modern relationships. Woman these days want to be independent yet still be treated as a princess. The characters are realistic . Thanks for the review!!
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Callme joan
Currently Reading: HO Tactics
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Callme joan »

The idea of a romantic novel which is realatable and realistic is a good reason for me to want to read this book next. I'm looking forward to find out which of the three women I resonate most with. Thank you for the good review.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

I like the plot that the author wanted to display. Seems different but realistic, especially putting women who are relatable. Good piece of review! :)
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Nivea and Desiree have the wrong men in their lives. I wish that someone could teach them better. Great review.
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

I enjoyed reading your review very much. The characters seem to be friendly and relatable. I'm curious about how their story will end. I love books about relationships in the modern era, so I'd gladly give it a go.
Aurelia_2020
Favorite Book: The Commander
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aurelia-2020.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Aurelia_2020 »

Love, marriage and gender roles are crucial aspects of modern day relationships that influence our everyday choices. I appreciate the author for being realistic as per this review as romance books tend to exaggerate the above aspects. Great review.
Amara911
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amara911.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Amara911 »

I love how this book talks about women empowerment for each other and also talks about a lady that struggles about being a good wife and a mother as she was married to the father of her kids but not the man of her dream.
I would really love to read this book, thanks for this review
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

I love reading romantic novels but this type usually gets me upset. I hate reading books that portray one sided love, and the character will have to put up with it for fear of ending up alone.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

"The book took a very interesting look at modern relationships and the traditional gender roles associated with them."
This is perfect summary of what this book is about. Relationships have gotten more complicated over the ages, especially for women. And there's no manual to it.
I'd really like to read this book, it's very realistic and intresting. Great review.
Live and let live, baby.
Cesia Duran
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cesia Duran »

I think the view of the author is very unique, he decided to use to women that are different but can relate in some kind of way.
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

Another story of when a spouse isn't the best fit...thanks for the review.
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html

Post by Abi_kanda »

I just saw the title and I decided that am definitely picking this book.
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html

Post by Abi_kanda »

I almost forgot to add. The book's cover is interesting.
Luluwa79
Favorite Book: Peter and the Parachute
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luluwa79.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Luluwa79 »

Nivea is holding unto a one-sided relationship because i think if she lets go, she would lose a lot like money, time and other things she has invested into the relationship but the earlier she lets go of the relationship, the better it would be for her. Though it might take awhile before she heals emotionally.
Nice review.
Always seek God in all your dealings and He will help you find the right path.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”