Lora Leigh - if you dare!

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
msmail12
Favorite Author: Allyson James
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmail12.html
Latest Review: "The Road to Round Mountain" by C.G. Roberts
fav_author_id: 8178

Re: Lora Leigh - if you dare!

Post by msmail12 »

arobinson214 wrote:I couldn't enjoy Lora Leigh's Breed series. I was almost never fond of the heroine and there was a certain loss of free will in the Breed mating that I found distasteful. I don't think it had much to do with the characters themselves as much as the biology; biting your mate meant releasing pheromones or drugs into their bloodstream that made them more susceptible. I really didn't like that aspect of the mating and so I could never support it the way I wanted to. Maybe it's just my preference, but when the opposite person has the freedom to walk away but chooses to stay instead, just makes it more powerful to me.
I gotta admit this series is fun, but predictably formulaic. Like Christine Feehan's Carpathian series, Leigh's choice's in biology of her breed characters severely narrows the plot possibilities. However, if you just pick up a different one every time you are feeling that kind of plot then it can still be fun. As to the choice aspect, there is more than you might think in the story. I think the women actually have more of a choice than then men as crazy as that seems initially. Coyote Breed features Anya who actually walks away from her mate after having sex with him and gets hormone shots and legal help to keep him away until she is the one who decides that they should be together, and then she accepts and even pursues him. The guys refuse to have hormone therapy or talk too much about it all because they see their finding of a mate as divine validation of their existence and proof that they have souls, so they won't let it be dimmed for anything. They actually go a little nuts and have lots of complications when their mates won't accept them or they initially reject their mates as is the case in a couple of the books with complex back stories.
Latest Review: "The Road to Round Mountain" by C.G. Roberts
Siobhan151
Currently Reading: Feel The Heat Box-Set
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siobhan151.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Siobhan151 »

I am currently reading a series that's similar to the Breed series, and have been told that the Breed series would be a great series to start since I like the one I'm currently reading. However, I tried looking it up and for some reason cannot find a comprehensive list of the series and where to start. Anyone know what's the first five books (in reading order) of the series?
jolynnblack08
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolynnblack08.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by jolynnblack08 »

Lora Leigh was one of the first erotic romance authors that I read. I love all of her books and the breeds series is my favorite.
kmd06
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmd06.html

Post by kmd06 »

I have enjoyed most of Lora Leigh's books. I have read all (I think) of the Breed series more than once. I'm not normally a Sci-fi fan or fan of the really out there stuff, but the whole mixed with animal genetics aspect doesn't get in way of the story. Don't get me wrong it plays apart in the characters' personalities and so forth but it doesn't dominate the story line. I think most readers who enjoy a good romance book with hot alpha males and few steamy scenes would definitely enjoy the Breed series
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Lora Leigh is one of my favorite erotic authors. I am a biologist and loved the genetic engineering aspect of the thirty strong Breed Series. The genetically engineered human/animal hybrids struggle to survive among humans and overcome the atrocities perpetrated by their creators, the Genetics Council.

Always under threat of being captured or killed, the breeds have enforcers employed by the Bureau of Breed Affairs that act as protectors. These bad-to-the-bone characters, whether alpha males or strong-willed females, are complex. Their individual trials and journeys to find their mates are at times gut-wrenching and fraught with danger but ultimately lead to the formation of lasting, loving relationships.

The sexual tension between the protagonists also builds until you feel it in your bones! Each breed has their own unique twist of "mating heat" and it is hot. Leigh provides enough background and explanation so that each book stands alone, but as you read each book and become familiar with characters like Jonas Wyatt, the Bureau’s director, or Rule Breaker, an enforcer, that recur in many of the books you learn to love them.

Other series of note by Leigh include the Nauti Boys, Elite Ops, the Seals, and many more. All of Leigh’s books are sure to please if you are looking for sexy characters, whose sensuality reaches out and grabs you. This is erotic fiction at its finest!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I think these books fall under the category of Fun Beach Read. They are a bit predictable after you read the first few, but I really enjoy her characters. They way she describes all the males around a human who is ovulating--freaking hilarious! Anyone suggest other series similar to this?
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

I love Lora Leigh series. And the breed on his muy bien. Lol I recommend it to anyone s d everyone.
Lolababs94
Favorite Author: Mariana Zapata
Favorite Book: The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolababs94.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 11762

Post by Lolababs94 »

msmail12 wrote: 11 Apr 2015, 14:25
arobinson214 wrote:I couldn't enjoy Lora Leigh's Breed series. I was almost never fond of the heroine and there was a certain loss of free will in the Breed mating that I found distasteful. I don't think it had much to do with the characters themselves as much as the biology; biting your mate meant releasing pheromones or drugs into their bloodstream that made them more susceptible. I really didn't like that aspect of the mating and so I could never support it the way I wanted to. Maybe it's just my preference, but when the opposite person has the freedom to walk away but chooses to stay instead, just makes it more powerful to me.
I gotta admit this series is fun, but predictably formulaic. Like Christine Feehan's Carpathian series, Leigh's choice's in biology of her breed characters severely narrows the plot possibilities. However, if you just pick up a different one every time you are feeling that kind of plot then it can still be fun. As to the choice aspect, there is more than you might think in the story. I think the women actually have more of a choice than then men as crazy as that seems initially. Coyote Breed features Anya who actually walks away from her mate after having sex with him and gets hormone shots and legal help to keep him away until she is the one who decides that they should be together, and then she accepts and even pursues him. The guys refuse to have hormone therapy or talk too much about it all because they see their finding of a mate as divine validation of their existence and proof that they have souls, so they won't let it be dimmed for anything. They actually go a little nuts and have lots of complications when their mates won't accept them or they initially reject their mates as is the case in a couple of the books with complex back stories.

I absolutely agree with you! And as you go down the series, it's not as predictable as the first books were. For instance, couples begin to experience mating heat in different ways that could mean something for breed couples or their genetic ability to have children. It's interesting discovering the different facets.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I'm not a huge Lora Leigh fan, but I really liked the New Species series by Laurann Dohner.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

By your description this sounds a lot like the New Species series by Laurann Dohner, which I liked. I hope it's as good as you say.
ddbird1975
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ddbird1975 »

You won't regret it. B I've read them all and sometimes re read them. Love her writing it's very intense!
TasiWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasiwin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by TasiWin »

TrishaAnn92 wrote: 26 Jan 2014, 18:24 I have read a lot of her books. The only thing I didn't really care for was that they seemed really predictable as far as the couple the story was about. The story lines of her stories are great though!
I agree the is a lot of predictability with regards to the couple. Starting out you just know the ending, but I still read them.
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

As far as Breeds go, after a while I got tired of the sex scenes, chose another series and that's how I never finished it.

I managed at least the first siz if I remember correctly.
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

Barbara Larkin wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 07:09 By your description this sounds a lot like the New Species series by Laurann Dohner, which I liked. I hope it's as good as you say.
Yes. I hsve read from both series' and there are lots of similarities.
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

TasiWin wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 05:52
Barbara Larkin wrote: 04 Jul 2020, 07:09 By your description this sounds a lot like the New Species series by Laurann Dohner, which I liked. I hope it's as good as you say.
Yes. I hsve read from both series' and there are lots of similarities.
I have read from both series. Sometimes I mix them up in my head

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”