Official Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Official Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake

Post by Fi Zoraa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Echo of the Past" by Rosemary Blake.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered what life and romance were like in the swinging 60s? Echo of the Past follows the story of Maura's budding romance with Mike, after a chance meeting in 60s London. Everything appears to be going well until something comes to light. Rosemary Blake does a decent job with this story, adding authenticity to the tale with details about typewriters and Morris Minors. While there are less than 90 pages to the book, the author still managed to take me on quite a journey.

I like the adorable way in which Maura and Mike first meet. It's a meeting that I think many people would love to happen to them in real life. We also get a look into Maura's relationship with her sister, Anita, and strict Catholic mother, Bridget. The author does a great job of portraying the subtle complexities of familial relationships. The motivations of the family members feel realistic.

While the plot and portrayal of the 60s were entertaining, there were quite a few things I didn’t like about the book. One issue I had was that at the beginning, the author briefly tells the story from Anita and Bridget’s points of view. The rest of the story is from Maura’s point of view. This change in perspective only happened at the start, which felt unnecessary. The author hinted at storylines with those characters, which didn't get developed in this book.

Another issue was that the romance progression wasn’t convincing, based on the interactions between Maura and Mike. Some of their initial conversations didn’t flow smoothly. I also feel as though the romance lacked substance. Upon completing the book, I felt that the blurb gave away a bit too much of the plot. It took some suspense away from the reading experience. However, the author manages to throw in an unexpected twist that I enjoyed.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The author included themes that I don’t usually read about, which was the main reason I persevered with the book. The story also felt like a genuine representation of the 60s. However, the romance felt empty, and quite a few scenes didn’t contribute to the storyline. For such a short novel, I expected almost every scene to push the plot along. That wasn't the case. There were also many grammar issues throughout the book. This book may appeal to someone looking for a quick romance novel that features some difficult, emotional topics.

Echo of the Past
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

Beautiful romance story. I love romance and the review was simple and well explanatory. Thanks.
Fi Zoraa

Post by Fi Zoraa »

Chinelookeke wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 06:01 Beautiful romance story. I love romance and the review was simple and well explanatory. Thanks.
Thank you!
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

I'm not a lover of long romance novels. I may not always be in the mood for a romance novel, but the fact that this is a short one is a good attribute for me to pick this Novel. Furthermore, this book review Is very concise.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Fi Zoraa

Post by Fi Zoraa »

Viczboy16 wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 08:29 I'm not a lover of long romance novels. I may not always be in the mood for a romance novel, but the fact that this is a short one is a good attribute for me to pick this Novel. Furthermore, this book review Is very concise.
Thank you. Yes, same here. Sometimes, I want to finish a book in one sitting, rather than be consumed with thoughts about it until I do.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I have no idea of the 60's era, but I'd love to read all about it. Sad to note the problems in this book though. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

It is odd that the author presented different perspectives at the beginning of the book. I think that would have confused me as to who the story was about. Thanks for your lovely review.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Thatonecupcake2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Thatonecupcake2 »

I love this short but meaningful! I think the author could have, got away with making it a bit longer. I seem to find the longer the more, of a story it tells you, and the more you can imagine it, and follow with the story line.
Lizziemarcel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizziemarcel.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Lizziemarcel »

I love romantic books, and I would really like to read the book to know what romance in the 60's is like and being that its concise, making it a quick one to finish. Thanks for the honest review.
Ramdeen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ramdeen »

The book was interesting and the story line fit the 60s. Well done on your illustration on the 60s romance.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The story felt like taken straight out of a movie. A lot of things seemed predictable. Thanks for the review.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

I like how concise this review is. I’d like to understand from the writers perspective how romance in the 60s was. I appreciate the very objective light this review has shed on the techniques employed by the writer.
Echez_
Currently Reading: Totto-chan, the Little Girl at the Window
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echez.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward

Post by Echez_ »

Obviously, I had no idea what life was like in the 60's, not to talk of romance. Having read this review, I think I'm already having the urge to get the book. Great and well crafted review. Thanks for sharing!
Rachel_Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Leadership by Craig B. Whelden

Post by Rachel_Emmanuel »

The fact that the pages are not much is quiet encouraging to pick the book. Good review
#RecordBreaker
Fi Zoraa

Post by Fi Zoraa »

Elvis Best wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 14:35 I have no idea of the 60's era, but I'd love to read all about it. Sad to note the problems in this book though. Great review!
I didn't know much either, so it was interesting in that aspect. The book had so much potential if it weren't for those issues. Thanks!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”