What makes you experience a reading slump?

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zainab-18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

What makes you experience a reading slump?

Post by zainab-18 »

Whenever I read an amazing book, I feel that the next book I pick up doesn't even hold a candle to the previous one. I'll struggle to read the next book. I'll find it lackluster compared to the previous book and I won't be able to read it or any other book for some time. To recover from the reading slump, I'll just re-read my favorite books.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Whenever I'm in a reading slump, it's mostly because I've consumed so many books in such a short period of time my brain needs rest or an alternative means of entertainment. Sometimes it could be that I can't find a book with interesting enough characters and plot, decent, engaging writing or a combination of both. Otherwise, I've been reading too much of the same types of books and get put off for a while.
Faatimah Noormahomed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faatimah-noormahomed.html
Latest Review: Karrana by Anne Skyvington
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Faatimah Noormahomed »

Sometimes I go through periods where I'm just reading one bad book after another and that really puts me into a reading slump. Then I just have to take a break from reading for while or reread my favourite books to get out of it.
Jonté Joy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jont-joy.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Jonté Joy »

I can easily get into a reading slump after reading an exceptionally good book because no matter how hard I try, the next one won't be as interesting.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

I get into a reading slump with books that drag the story out, I do not like beginning a book and not finishing it so no matter how long the story drags out I have to finish the book. I recover from this by reading the end and then going back to where the story started dragging. I also do not like to read the end before I am supposed to get there so the book would then just be a spoiled, dragging book for me.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

It usually happens when I read outside my comfort zone. Like if I try to expand my preferences and read outside my favorite genre, I experience reader's block and just can't get back in my reading zone. Not even when there is an interesting book coming out by my favorite authors and such. Sometimes it happens when I read a book that is over 500 pages long.
Julia Grossman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-grossman.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Julia Grossman »

I always get into a reading slump after reading too many books of the same genre. I have to find a book in a different genre to help pull me out of my reading slump. Also, if I read a book that has a great affect on me emotionally, I find it hard to start another book soon after finishing it.
novaalee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by novaalee »

After finishing one or multiple books my brain just can’t seem to read and make the scenarios in my head. I struggle a bit to understand and have to re read multiple times in order to be able to get the hang of it. After some time I realize I just need a break from reading so much and instead I watch tv, but after a while I usually just go back to reading. Usually after that little break my brain is able to make the scenarios and see the details of the story.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

Whenever I am in a reading slump it is usually because of a book that I really did not enjoy and so it takes me out of the mood to read. I see other people saying that reading a really good book puts them in a slump but that just makes me want to read even more!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”