Official Review: Love, Lust and Combustion by Mingo Moran

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AmyMarie2171
Currently Reading: Fall of Giants
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amymarie2171.html
Latest Review: A Heart on the River by John Bauer

Official Review: Love, Lust and Combustion by Mingo Moran

Post by AmyMarie2171 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love, Lust and Combustion" by Mingo Moran.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the decades since drag racing became part of popular American culture, the sport has undergone tremendous changes to make cars faster and more efficient. Love, Lust and Combustion by Mingo Moran explores drag racing mechanics of the 1980s while also introducing an erotic love story to a typically cut-and-dried profession.

Travis Davis is a semi-pro drag racer who wants desperately to make a name for himself on the racing circuit. With his extensive knowledge of mechanics and a talent for getting ahead of the competition, Travis is closer to reaching his dream than ever before. His passion for cars is only tempered by one thing: his need for a woman to share his desires. When a member of his crew breaks up with her boyfriend, Travis is given an opportunity unlike any other, and he is not about to pass it up.

A very important aspect of this book is its use of technical language. At least half of the story is a mental explanation from Travis about what he is doing to his car to fix certain problems. Splitting up the mechanically intense language are some erotically charged encounters, which are the only moments that make this book fit into the "romance" category. Unfortunately, even the sensual moments are a bit shallow. There is no real build-up to the romance, so I am not satisfied with the story as a whole. It comes across as an unfinished work, but one that does have unrecognized potential.

Despite the drawbacks, there are several points that the author handles quite skillfully. The book takes place in the 1980s, so details like gas being expensive at $1.35 a gallon are pleasantly appropriate. Also, Travis is given a fairly complex philosophy of life that he adheres to throughout the book and mentions multiple times. For instance, the author writes on page 7, "If steel failed to do what Travis wanted, he could bend it, weld it, or better yet throw it away and get a stronger piece. You could not do that with people." This kind of attention to personality bleeds into the other characters as well, and they tend to have believable emotions and thoughts.

I was disappointed to find typos and errors in nearly every paragraph. Misspellings and inappropriate punctuation are prevalent, and there are many places where dialogue is left without quotation marks. Due to the errors and incomplete nature of the book, I have decided to give Love, Lust and Combustion a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. There is strong sexual content throughout the story, and profanity is included on most pages. I would only recommend this book to mature readers.
** The author has since had the book edited for grammatical errors based on this review**

Love, Lust and Combustion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Dee_Robert
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life by Dr Allen Lycka, Harriet Tinka
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

Seemed like it had a lot of potential, so sad it turned out to be quite a pain.
Great Review
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.

Maxwil1
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Maxwil1 »

I have read the introduction but I'm trying to link the two scenario together.
His passion for cars and the dreads of love in the process.
It would be true that Travis has been eyeing for her workmate for a long-time and he didn't just tell her what he used to feel.
It's also possible that Travis was a secret lover who couldn't speak.
I hope both were compatible and supported each other the fact they were working on the same company.
I would be nice if more light was shade to this

Christieee
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christieee.html
Latest Review: Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Post by Christieee »

For some strange reason, your review had my heart racing following your description of Travis’ passion. It’s nice to see that the author has re-edited the book based on your review. The excessive use of technical language may deter me from reading though. This is a great review.

AmyMarie2171

Post by AmyMarie2171 »

Dee_Robert wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 13:54
Seemed like it had a lot of potential, so sad it turned out to be quite a pain.
Great Review
Thanks for stopping by! I have high hopes for it now that the author has reviewed it and had it edited :) Aside from the errors, it was a pretty good story!

AmyMarie2171

Post by AmyMarie2171 »

Maxwil1 wrote:
19 Jun 2020, 01:22
I have read the introduction but I'm trying to link the two scenario together.
His passion for cars and the dreads of love in the process.
It would be true that Travis has been eyeing for her workmate for a long-time and he didn't just tell her what he used to feel.
It's also possible that Travis was a secret lover who couldn't speak.
I hope both were compatible and supported each other the fact they were working on the same company.
I would be nice if more light was shade to this
I can answer it partially. She is his employee, in a sense, and was dating another of his employees at the time. While he admired her, he never considered her as a partner until she broke up with her boyfriend. And yeah, the relationship seems to be really supportive; they didn't have any issues or qualms as a couple! I could say more, but they would be definite spoilers. Thanks for stopping by!

AmyMarie2171

Post by AmyMarie2171 »

Christieee wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 12:05
For some strange reason, your review had my heart racing following your description of Travis’ passion. It’s nice to see that the author has re-edited the book based on your review. The excessive use of technical language may deter me from reading though. This is a great review.
Thanks so much! The mechanical talk is a little bit of a put-off if you don't happen to be interested in that field, but it's not terribly hard to understand. I only have surface-level knowledge of auto mechanics, but was able to follow the descriptions pretty easily. Because the book is formatted in large paragraphs, you can skip over those parts if it's too much of a bother! Thanks for stopping by :)

MeganDJ
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Purple Rose by Judice Newton

Post by MeganDJ »

I did not expect to see a sultry romance intertwined in pro drag racing, but I am glad it happened! I am sorry to hear about the mistakes but so glad to hear that the author decided to get it edited. I would definitely consider giving this one a read. Thank you for your well-written and well-fleshed out review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:

AmyMarie2171

Post by AmyMarie2171 »

MeganDJ wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 07:37
I did not expect to see a sultry romance intertwined in pro drag racing, but I am glad it happened! I am sorry to hear about the mistakes but so glad to hear that the author decided to get it edited. I would definitely consider giving this one a read. Thank you for your well-written and well-fleshed out review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
Thanks so much for stopping by! I was really intrigued by the mixture myself, and I hope that the edits corrected some of the problems I had with the story. It's definitely a different kind of book, and I hope you enjoy :)

Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Usma Khann »

It's evident that the author failed in properly researching the 80's era while writing this book which lead to the plot's miserable execution. Appreciate the review though.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:

Kenesha L Fowler
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Favorite Book: The Hate You Give
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-l-fowler.html
Latest Review: The Panopticon Experiment by Rachel Caldecott

Post by Kenesha L Fowler »

I'm a fan of mixing sports and romance. This particular storyline doesn't appeal to me much, but I'm glad to see that the book has since been edited. Still, it was a delight to read your review. Thank you.
"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

ELANOR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elanor.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by ELANOR »

The combination of cars and desire sounds like it is pulled off well. Car fanatics would enjoy this book for the mechanical detail.
Your honest review has helped the author and future readers

Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The entire concept seems quite fascinating to me. Cars and romance together fuel up interest in reading. The review was amazing.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”