The Black Dagger Brotherhood Series by JR Ward

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Drake
Currently Reading: After the Bite
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drake.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Re: The Black Dagger Brotherhood Series by JR Ward

Post by Drake »

I was hooked the first time I started reading The Black Dagger Brotherhood Series. Although JR Ward has started including new characters in the series, she still remains faithful to the original Brothers. Each book gives the reader an insight into each character. It is hard not to have more than one favorite Brother.
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

I am enamored, not only with the story lines of each of the Brotherhood, BUT the eloquent way J.R. Ward tells her stories is seriously gut grabbing. If J.R. Ward told me to stick my tongue out and do the hokey pokey to write like her, you can bet I'd be dancing that jig to see if it was true! LOL I've enjoyed other books before, other authors, but J. R. Ward is the one that made me want to finish my writing and get published. Beautiful stuff there. Not in a prissy way, but dark and gritty that truly makes you want to live that life. Love it!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I love how JR Ward manages to weave references to popular hip hop artists the obscure Joan Crawford/Mommy Dearest together. This series has me laughing out loud, crying, and almost getting sick during some of the messier fight scenes. You really fall in love with her characters. The Chosen had me feeling so bereft halfway through because I cajoled see no good conclusion to the book. Now I can't wait to see what happens with the Band of Bastards.
Tpop
Currently Reading: An Obstinate Vanity
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tpop.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Tpop »

JR Ward's Dark Lover is one of that I read in 48 hours. I just couldn't put it down. I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series. It is good to hear that they are equally as well written as the first.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Tpop wrote:JR Ward's Dark Lover is one of that I read in 48 hours. I just couldn't put it down. I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series. It is good to hear that they are equally as well written as the first.
I picked up Dark Lover on a whim and fell in love as fast as you did. I do wish that the books weren't given such tacky names. One you get further into the series you start finding names and covers that you could actually read in public without feeling embarrassed.

Her Bourbon Kings series is also really good...more general fiction than romance.
Tpop
Currently Reading: An Obstinate Vanity
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tpop.html

Post by Tpop »

CommMayo wrote: I picked up Dark Lover on a whim and fell in love as fast as you did. I do wish that the books weren't given such tacky names. One you get further into the series you start finding names and covers that you could actually read in public without feeling embarrassed.

Her Bourbon Kings series is also really good...more general fiction than romance.
I haven't hear of it! but I will check it out! thank you! and if you have any other recommendations, I would love to hear them.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Tpop wrote:I haven't hear of it! but I will check it out! thank you! and if you have any other recommendations, I would love to hear them.
Check out Karen Marie Moning's fever series if you are looking for another good set of kind of sci-fi books.
Chasityshay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chasityshay »

I am in love with the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, it’s amazing. Who is your favorite character?
Whitney Marchelle
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

This sounds like a great series. I have read it yet but I may be doing myself a disservice. Lol thanks for the recommend.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:

Post by CommMayo »

Chasityshay wrote: 29 Nov 2017, 23:43 I am in love with the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, it’s amazing. Who is your favorite character?
That is like trying to pick your favorite child! I don't think I could do it...
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

This is the second time that I'm hearing about this series, but it was highly recommended both times. I'm a skeptic with regard to romance-driven series, but this is making me reconsider. Thanks for sharing your views.
Chasityshay

Post by Chasityshay »

The books do have romance in them, but they have a lot more to them. I barely read novels that are just about romance, I like a danger and excitement in any book or series I read. This series follows the main characters through a war of sorts, and it’s about finding their true love. Honestly, if you give it a chance, I’m positive you’ll love it.
Musae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musae.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Musae »

I read some but want to re-read them again as my memory of them are a bit vague. Some books are worth reading again and again
Wh1t
Currently Reading:

Post by Wh1t »

I love how Ward will put the couple/character who the next book is going to be about in the current book as a side plot. For instance, Rhage appears quite a bit in Dark Lover; the next book in the series following Dark Lover features Rhage as the main character, his backstory and how he finds love. Zsadist and Bella make a lot of appearances in Lover Eternal (Rhage's book). Following Rhage's story, is Zsadist's and Bella's story (Lover Awakened). Butch is becoming more and more involved during Zsadist's book, which takes us to Butch's story in the next book (Lover Revealed); and so on. Love, love, love the world building and how Ward takes common vampire myths and develops a new world where it is almost believable and much more appealing. Seriously-how can anyone fantasize about evil, cold vampires with no beating hearts who prey on humans??? Especially after reading the hotness Ward writes?! No!! Not in the Black Dagger Brotherhood's world!! These vampire warriors and their shellans/mates are so awesome, smoking hot, enchanting, and over-the-top that I wish they were real people!!

I have been a fan for years, and I experience separation anxiety when I finish another book and have to wait so long to read the next. The impatient anticipation waiting on "The Thief" to become available is driving me nuts!!

I also love the Fallen Angels series, although it took me a while to even read it and admit that because, and I know this sounds crazy, I felt as though I was betraying my Brothers by putting them down long enough to read a different series. Honestly, I have read every available book of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series at least five times, MAYBE MORE. The spin-off series, Black Dagger Legacy, is not AS awesome, but it is an engaging adventure through what's going on in the background of the Black Dagger Brotherhood world with the newest recruits for the training center, with the Brothers featuring as side plots.

Black Dagger Brotherhood series is my all time favorite series and Ward cannot ever disappoint me because I am that devoted to my Brothers!!
Lady2017

Post by Lady2017 »

Loved all the books in the series. Even if the basic plot is the same for all of them. Learning about new characters is my favorite part of the stories.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”