Who has Read Me Before You from Jojo Moyes?

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Re: Who has Read Me Before You from Jojo Moyes?

Post by ashley_claire »

Sarah_Khan wrote:I guess I have an unpopular opinion of this book. I thought this book was boring and unbearably predictable. The author's way of writing was mediocre, the only thing I enjoyed is some of the characters. Overall I find that this book is extremely overrated. :P
I actually have to agree. I picked up this book because I was actually in the mood for a good cry and this book just didn't do it for me. Partly because I agree with Will's decision and think Lou was being selfish to ask him to change his mind.

The main message at the end of the book also left a bad taste in my mouth. Aside from her terrible boyfriend at the beginning of the book, Lou repeatedly said that she was happy with her life. But Will insisted that because she hadn't traveled the world and didn't have a specific purpose for her life, that it wasn't good enough. Not everyone in life is meant to do great things and be a hero (gasp). But because she didn't have an "I'm gonna change the world" attitude, her life was worthless in Will's opinion.

I will say that this may be one of the few books that the movie is better than the book. Even though the book was just okay for me, I think the movie looks great and I can't wait to see it.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I totally agree, you basically took the words out of my mouth. :P Not everyone needs adventure and excitement to have a happy life, sometimes stability and familiarity is what makes people happy.
ashley_claire wrote: Lou repeatedly said that she was happy with her life. But Will insisted that because she hadn't traveled the world and didn't have a specific purpose for her life, that it wasn't good enough. Not everyone in life is meant to do great things and be a hero (gasp). But because she didn't have an "I'm gonna change the world" attitude, her life was worthless in Will's opinion.
ashley_claire wrote:I will say that this may be one of the few books that the movie is better than the book. Even though the book was just okay for me, I think the movie looks great and I can't wait to see it.
Yeah, I think I'll probably like the movie a whole lot better than the book. :)
Suma Hegde
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suma-hegde.html

Post by Suma Hegde »

Currently on my to-read list.
laurenashley

Post by laurenashley »

I just finished this book. It didn't make me cry, but I think that's because I knew what was coming. Because of all the hype, I already knew how it ended. I still thought it was a great book, though. It does inspire you to want to do more with your life, because you could lose everything in a moment.
I'm excited for the movie, as well. Although I'm not looking forward to watching Sam Claflin die, again. I was already traumatized when he died in The Hunger Games.

Lauren
wckedly_
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wckedly.html

Post by wckedly_ »

More often than not, I usually don't read overrated and mainstream books until the hype dies down. Heh, but most of the time I don't really (but let's hope that changes soon). From reading the story's synopsis, I can tell it's a tragic one and I'm not one for reading tragedies. However, I do like watching tragic movies xD.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

I loved everything about the book. Also, I learned the true meaning of setting someone free. I cried but I accepted the ending as it was meant to be.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Marianaleivap
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianaleivap.html

Post by Marianaleivap »

You before me is the story about Will Traylor, a successful 35 years old man that became quadriplegic due to a car accident, and Louisa Clark, a creative 27 years old woman that became the carer of Will. The story starts when Louisa lost her job in a little cafe and was forced to get another job because she was the financial support of her family. Since Louisa doesn’t have qualifications, she found hard to believe the idea that she was hired as a “carer”. She began to take care of Will or cheer him up can be a better definition of her job, since he had promised six months to her mom (duration of Louisa’s contract) until he takes an important decision in his life. in this period Will and Louisa meet each other and change each other life like anyone have done. the story itself makes you laugh, get angry with some characters but also love each word some say. Jojo makes you question yourself and makes you wonder how you would react to some situations.

Let’s talk about the book: (spoiler alert)

I loved the character of Louisa. I loved her creative or in other words “funny” outfits. She was the oldest of two sisters but the fact that she felt degraded by her sister made my a little uncomfortable. Her sister, Katrina, is very good in school, she even went to college but got pregnant with Thomas. Then she had to stop studying and start working in a flower shop. Louisa feels degraded by her because she didn’t go to college in part because she wasn’t too smart in school and in part because her family couldn’t afford it. It makes me upset how her family treat her because even if she was the financial support of the family and she didn’t get pregnant, she had to sleep in the smallest room and her family didn’t say anything good about her. I don’t know if this supposed to have a hidden meaning but the fact that her father was always criticize everything she did and her mother was always putting her sister instead of her annoyed me a little. I found her sister really dominant over Louisa, she was always telling her what to do and believed she owned the world. Katrina didn’t realize, she could afford to go to college because of Louisa was taking care of her family and also she just keep saying she needed to use her brain again and that she missed school. I know it was good for her and eventually good for her family and Thomas but I didn’t think it was the right moment to start sharing her idea of getting back to college because Louisa just had lost her job and even if she had found the other job that was well paid but she was literally pushing her to get that job that she knew it was going to bring pain to Louisa’s life. I know that maybe if she hadn’t pushed her Louisa wouldn’t have accepted the job and wouldn’t know Will and he wouldn’t have change her life how he did. So maybe it was a good thing too.

Also, it is awesome how Jojo chose this little town in England and how even if she mark the difference in Will and Louisa social class, it doesn’t make you feel like this love wasn’t possible. Because of this love, I didn’t think Will was going to die at the end of the book but I kind of understand is that. It wasn’t the life he had planned for himself. It is important to consider that he was 35 years old. this means he was no longer planning his life, he had started to live the results of what he planned and if we see it like he was in that time of your life when finally everything has come into place. His job was really good, he was going to go on a holiday with his girlfriend, he was independent and he was having the time of his life enjoying everything. The fact that he lost all this and even the ability to decide by himself because his mother was over him every minute of the day must be awfully devastating. Also, in the story in tell us about his father and it was true that he couldn’t be happy with the other woman if Will was still there because after all he didn’t want to cause pain in his family. Take a minute to think about Will’s mother… that is a strong woman. She was so brave and I wouldn’t be surprised if they told me she gain more money than her husband because she was awesome. She was a little rude and cold with everyone. She also could be overprotected with Will but I think it is just the way she has to show her love. I died in the chapter when she was narrating the story and speaks about her garden. It was so kind and revealing coming from her. Overall I liked a lot this book. I think Jojo has a really easy writing style. It makes you imagine a lot with her words. I am excited to read the second book.
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

cdoudz wrote:I just finished this book as well and spent around an hour hysterically crying. Then I stopped, watched the trailer again, and started crying all over again. What a beautiful book. Has anyone read the sequel yet? Is it worth reading?
I read the sequel "After you" weeks ago and yes, it is so TOTALLY WORTH READING! I Strongly recommend it. *.*

-- 10 Apr 2016, 19:04 --

" Me before you'' is one of the best book I have ever read! I love the characters, I love this story.
I can't wait to see the movie :D
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

I absolutely fell in love with Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. This story tackles an emotional roller-coaster, allowing the reader to laugh and cry with the characters. Louisa is funny, witty, and grows as a character, while Will is stubborn, smart, and witty. I recommend this for contemporary romance fans and cannot wait to see the characters come to life in the movie!
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
Aijaace
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Bookshelf Size: 157
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Aijaace »

I was pleasantly surprised about how much I actually liked this book. The characters were ones that will stay with me for a while.

Me Before You was a book that involved some problems of the world that I would not have expected to be involved. When I started the book I was a bit weary because I was thinking that it would immediately jump into being a romantic, sad story, but it wasn’t and I was glad that it didn’t. Louisa Clark is just an ordinary woman trying to find a job to help support her parents. She has a boyfriend, Patrick, who has been with her for several years, but recently his priority is not Lou, but it is his training. When Lou get the job for being a caregiver for a disabled person she is hesitant, but she still takes the job because the pay is well over minimum wage and she needs money. When she arrives at her job, she realizes that the disabled person is a complete sarcastic asshole who used to be a guy who slept around, had a well paying job, and liked to do exottic things. Will, the disabled guy, got into an accident where he was just a normal civilian walking across the street when he was hit by a car that left him a C5-6 quadriplegic. Since the accident he has lost the will to live and he wants to end it instead of living in a chair for the rest of his life. When Lou becomes his caregiver, his attitude changes and all he wants is for Lou to be happy. When some troubles with Patrick leave Lou boyfriendless, she became determined to change Will’s mind about living by taking him out on ‘outings’ to show his that even disabled people can live and have fun. .

Lou and Will have become one of my favorite couples, if they were one, because all they want is for each other to be happy. Me Before You is filled with quirky, sad, hilarious, and beautiful moments that will leave almost anyone yearning for those same moments.
agent_books

Post by agent_books »

I got bored reading the first part of the book, not the part about Will but Louisa's. It's so boring. I can't get myself to read it.
dejab
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dejab.html

Post by dejab »

I don't know if I want to read if it will make me cry?
jess f

Post by jess f »

Everybody has been talking about Me Before You by Jojo Moyes so I thought I'd give it a try. I finished it in a day and a half. At first I wasn't that impressed but then it sucked me in. The movie is coming out soon but I'm not sure I want to ride that roller coaster of emotions again. The second book is taking me awhile to get through it and it's been a few months since I started it. I still have hope that it'll grab me, but we'll see.
Gypsy_soul77
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gypsy-soul77.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Gypsy_soul77 »

I just bought this book & can't wait to read it.
Rini Said

Post by Rini Said »

I only watched the movie adaptation of the book; it has a very sad ending though :( Should I read the book ? Anyone ?

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”