Official Review: Memories Never Die by Leslie Hachtel

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Memories Never Die by Leslie Hachtel

Official Review: Memories Never Die by Leslie Hachtel

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Memories Never Die" by Leslie Hachtel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Liza Boone’s older sister, Faith, was raped and left for dead, leaving her with a severe brain injury and unable to communicate. Her rapist had assaulted other women, but none of them survived. He has not been apprehended, although Liza has never stopped searching for him. Liza keeps having nightmares in which she is reliving her sister’s dreadful experience, except Liza is now the victim. She can’t ignore the feeling that Faith is showing her this to try to help her find the rapist.

A couple of days after Liza completed her police training courses, her parents were killed in an auto accident, leaving her to take care of Faith. Liza moved to a small town in Florida and worked as a detective in the police department there to have less stress and spend more time with her sister. She acquired a new partner, Grey, who is good at what he does but is gruff and difficult to work with.

A male body was discovered with his genitals missing. He had burn marks from a Taser and puncture wounds, suggesting he had been drugged. Liza and Grey are given the case. Shortly afterward, a second male body was found in a similar condition. A few days later, a female body was encountered with the same Taser marks and puncture wounds. Her breasts had been removed. It definitely looks as if there is a serial killer involved. An FBI profiler, Nash, is called in to help with the investigation. There is a strong attraction between him and Liza, but she isn’t interested in a relationship. Will the murderer be apprehended before they strike again? Will Liza find Faith’s attacker?

Memories Never Die by Leslie Hachtel jumps right into the action at the start with the first murder. The story is narrated from the third-person point of view, at times told from Liza’s perspective and at other times from Nash’s perspective. The author’s prose is descriptive and easy to understand, and the protagonists are believable, likable, and well developed.

The author solicited Umatilla Chief of Police Adam Bolton’s help in making this realistic. I think this is apparent. Unlike many TV shows, the book displays how you have to work your way through each clue, interviewing people, and investigating every angle to find the perpetrator. Having said that, the story still moves at a lively pace and is never boring. In fact, I had difficulty putting the book down until I finished reading it. The plot is my favorite aspect of the novel.

Another favorite of mine is the author’s descriptive ability. For example, “Inside the makeshift barrier was just what she would expect of a dirty alley, complete with faded and filthy brick walls, cracked pavement and swirls of dust and scattered leaves. Garbage cans, trash scattered about. The sour smell of urine and vomit.” Readers can picture exactly what she is describing.

Several steamy sex scenes were encountered in the book as well as profanity and violence. Therefore, it is not recommended for children or anyone sensitive to those things.

My least favorite part of the book was Liza’s inability to recognize some of the clues right in front of her. Being a detective, I thought she would soon use her resources to investigate a certain person of interest. Not wanting to provide a spoiler, I won’t say more. This was not enough to warrant removing a star for, though.

However, I encountered several punctuation and grammatical errors. Unfortunately, there were too many to receive a perfect score. It could use another round of editing.

Because I genuinely enjoyed this thrilling mystery, it achieves a rating of three out of four stars. One star was removed due to the errors. I enthusiastically recommend it to readers of mysteries, crime dramas, and romance novels.

Memories Never Die
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Adanna Inya »

Wow! In this kind of cases, the person you least expect becomes the culprit. And they are usually in one's circle. I'll like to read this book. Who is the culprit. Thank you for an interesting review.

Kenesha L Fowler
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Favorite Book: The Hate You Give
Currently Reading: Homecoming
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-l-fowler.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Kenesha L Fowler »

This book sounds like one I could get into, being a lover of romantic thrillers. I liked your review, too. Clear and detailed, you make some interesting points. Thank you for a lovely review.
"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

cj_mcrich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cj_mcrich »

This is nice. Another thriller for the detective-obsessed readers like I. Thanks for the review! :)

Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

This love thriller novel seems to be great, was the guy found? Must look for it

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Adanna Inya wrote:
22 May 2020, 02:41
Wow! In this kind of cases, the person you least expect becomes the culprit. And they are usually in one's circle. I'll like to read this book. Who is the culprit. Thank you for an interesting review.
Thanks for reading my review and commenting! I hope you get a chance to read it!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kenesha L Fowler wrote:
22 May 2020, 04:17
This book sounds like one I could get into, being a lover of romantic thrillers. I liked your review, too. Clear and detailed, you make some interesting points. Thank you for a lovely review.
Thanks so much for the kind comments!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

cj_mcrich wrote:
22 May 2020, 07:04
This is nice. Another thriller for the detective-obsessed readers like I. Thanks for the review! :)
I'm afraid I am too. :lol: Thanks for the comments!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Phelicia Gloria wrote:
22 May 2020, 07:31
This love thriller novel seems to be great, was the guy found? Must look for it
There are actually two different killers she is searching for, her sister's rapist and the new serial killer. You will have to read it to see. :lol: Thanks for the comments!

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: Peter and the Parachute by Nicola Ridgeway and James Manning

Post by Ellylion »

Unfortunately it's not a book I would like to explore, but I'm sure it is absolutely suitable for fans of the thriller genre :) Thank you very much for this insightful review!

GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: The Lost Years of Billy Battles
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: The Weeping Woman of Putten by Alyce Bailey

Post by GiselleBengochea »

Memories Never Die by Leslie Hachtel covers a broad spectrum of topics: rape, romance, murder, criminal investigations, crime scenes and serial killers. Sounds quite action packed! You did an excellent job in the promotion of this book! Great job!

FEislandqueen13
2019 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Veil of Secrecy by Margaret Franceschini

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

this book has everything one would expect from a crime novel. But it doesn't sound exciting enough for me to give it a try.
thanks for the review. :tiphat:
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss

nancyR123r
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nancyR123r »

Memories Never Die by Leslie Hachtel -This book is amazing it has a great review of explaining the setting and the point of view of how this story gives away a little bit of what's really gonna happen in the book once we read it and how are we gonna be able to describe the begininng and the end of the book of whom the characters are and how do they relate to the book and write a summary of who they are and what they do and what are they talking about in this book while reading it.

damis
2019 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: The Billionaires’ Handbook by Andrew Stevenson

Post by damis »

While I can't say Romance is among my favorite things when it comes to books, I have to admit this one sounds quite interesting with the crime and action. Great review!

Prisallen
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ellylion wrote:
22 May 2020, 08:20
Unfortunately it's not a book I would like to explore, but I'm sure it is absolutely suitable for fans of the thriller genre :) Thank you very much for this insightful review!
I understand. It would be a boring world if we all liked the same things. Thanks for the comments!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”