Review by Jeanht -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jeanht
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanht.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review by Jeanht -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

Post by Jeanht »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Legacy of Job's Wife" by Cynthia Koelker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Job’s wife, although a very brief presence in the holy books of most of the world’s major religions, is a significant source of dissent in literature, either cast as a deeply misunderstood victim, or reviled as the worst wife. The Legacy of Job’s Wife by Cynthia J. Koelker, is a remarkable attempt in vindication of a highly divisive persona.

In this fictional account, we are introduced to Ixesis, Job’s wife, as she takes her first breath on earth. She grows up in a loving home, with wonderful parents and siblings. Job, depicted here as the typical boy next door, is her childhood companion and playmate. Through house constructions, well-diggings, birthdays and trips, Ixesis’ and Job’s families support each other. They share a close bond, and are each privy to the customs followed by the other.

Ixesis and Job grow up in this happy environment. Quite soon, Job moves to the nearby town for employment. Ixesis, now a young beauty, hones her skills of singing and playing musical instruments. She takes up travelling with her father and visits many interesting places. Zophar, one of her friends, pays her special attention. However, Ixesis secretly pines for Job and is rendered confused in his absence. Having a talent for music, she makes up her mind to live with her distant aunt, who is her namesake, living under royal patronage due to her gifted singing. Before Ixesis could put her plans into motion however, Job wins her heart, after a brief episode of comedy of errors. The two of them are bound in matrimony and live happily for quite some time, with their children.

Soon, the events described in the Bible unfold as misfortune strikes the family. Job and Ixesis lose their cattle, workers and children in quick succession. This shatters them. However, more misfortune awaits the couple, as Job is struck with a disease and awaits death. It is in this dark moment of despair, that a dispirited Ixesis utters the words “Curse God, and die” to her husband. These words, that according to some scholars could also translate as “Bless God, and die”, have forever, marred the image of Job’s wife in public conscience. Job dismisses her words as the cry of a dejected heart.

As Job is cured of all his ailments, he quickly regains hope due to his trust in God, and once again begins to dream about good fortunes. Ixesis however, is unable to recover easily, despite the reversal of her misfortunes. Though Job tries his best to care for her, the loss of all her children takes a huge emotional toll on her. Eventually, Ixesis realizes that she is with child once more. Slowly, hope begins to dawn anew. She embraces life once again and learns to appreciate its joys and tribulations.

This saga of love, loss, despair and ultimate redemption was beautifully portrayed by the author. The romance between the lead pair is subtle. I loved how each chapter begins with a few lines that humanize the persona of Job’s wife. The author is successful in bringing alive an oft-vilified character in such a way, that we empathize with her. Though Job’s wife is intrinsically linked to her darkest moment, Ixesis is more than her darkest thoughts. The editing of the book seems to be on point. I was able to catch just a few instances of missing punctuation marks. I rate this book 4 out of 4. This is because I am sure to revisit this book often for its wonderful prose, a sample of which is quoted below:
“The winds whispered to me and the stars turned their light into song,” she murmured. “I listened and remembered as I watched you grow, and found the music on the evening breeze, floating on the golden rays of a purple sunset.”

The Legacy of Job's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”