Official Review: To Blossom and Back by Paul Hopkins

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: To Blossom and Back by Paul Hopkins

Post by Maria Esposito »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To Blossom and Back" by Paul Hopkins.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In To Blossom And Back, Paul Hopkins narrates his affair with Rose, affectionately nicknamed “Blossom” after a song by Paolo Nutini. The author first met Rose when he interviewed her for a job that she had applied for. Although he was profoundly struck by her beauty and demeanor, she was not chosen for the job. A while later, completely unexpectedly, the author and Rose found each other face to face for another interview. This time, Rose got the job. Slowly but surely, the two got swept away by a wave of passion and desire. The author found himself in a dilemma: would he risk his marriage of twenty-five years to Mitchell, a woman who has always proven her undivided attention and commitment to him? Was Rose truly ready and willing to leave her old life behind to accommodate their love?

Paul Hopkins carefully documented the array of emotions he felt throughout his affair: excitement, adrenaline, enthusiasm, fear, and uncertainty. I commend the author for the honesty he displayed throughout the book: in fact, he did not hold back from describing the deeply uncomfortable emotions that are typical of people who have extra-marital affairs. He was also straightforward about the pain and distress that his affair caused to his devoted wife, Mitchell. The book contains much insight for people who struggle with affairs and seek to better understand their feelings in this regard.

However, that is the end of my praise for this book. Firstly, it was not professionally edited: I found at least one error on each page. The frequency of these errors, which included typos, run-on sentences, and inconsistent use of tenses, was definitely distracting and frustrating. Furthermore, the author made frequent use of abbreviations like “etc.” and “tbh.” In a few instances, I have also come across emojis, that were used to express laughter or sadness. While I have nothing against using abbreviations and emojis during texting or informal communication, I find it rather inappropriate and unprofessional to use them in a book.

Unfortunately, the frequent errors were accompanied by pitfalls that I encountered in the structure and style of the narration. In the first half of the book, the author seemed to be more focused on describing work events that he and Rose attended, rather than tending to the emotional turmoil they were traversing together. For example, while writing about their visit to the Rotary Club, the author described the venue, the food, and the environment in detail, neglecting to provide meaningful documentation of one of his earliest interactions with Rose. Furthermore, there were a few passages that displayed a degree of exaggeration on the author’s behalf. For example, on page 30, he described a trip to Warwick with Rose as “a life-changing, significant, momentous day in history.” Finally, the author often resorted to using derogatory terms and insults towards women. Obviously, I found this extremely disrespectful and out of place.

One final aspect of the book that I found rather frustrating was the fact that the author frequently inserted song lyrics into the narration. I thought it was pleasant to read the lyrics to “Cherry Blossom” by Paolo Nutini, since this song was the inspiration for Rose’s nickname. However, the author included the full lyrics to ten songs in his book. A few times, the lyrics interrupted the narration without being properly introduced or explained. Considering that To Blossom And Back is composed of only 140 pages, this was definitely excessive.

On the basis of the criticism I offered, I rate To Blossom And Back by Paul Hopkins 1 out of 4 stars. While I think that this book has a lot of potential to emotionally support people who struggle with extra-marital affairs, I do not think that anyone would enjoy reading it in its present state.

To Blossom and Back
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Petra1989
Currently Reading: My Brilliant Friend
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petra1989.html
Latest Review: The Excoms by Brett Battles

Post by Petra1989 »

I think it is very courageous to write a book on your personal experience especially if that experience is strongly emotional and it is not approved by majority.
What you explained in your review as reasons for not liking the book seems justified but maybe author really wanted to go on completely different writing path. It seems he wanted to write a book different from any other, it is just a shame that it is not edited right since I fell it could ave been something strong and different.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

It's sad that such a promising book had plenty of errors.
Thank you for your honest review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

A lot of work has to be done to improve this book. I am sorry you had to read it in this state. Thanks for the honest review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

A critical, yet very useful review. If not for your rating, I would have chosen this to read. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

The theme of the book is not to my liking. Thank you for your review though. It was helpful.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I don't really care much for the theme, myself. That, coupled with all the other issues, makes me very unlikely to read this book. Thanks for your very honest and informative review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoy books where the author gives an honest assessment of their emotions and the events. The content of this book looks interesting - if you can overlook the errors. I enjoyed your insights and comments about this book. Thanks.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

This book is really emotional, my heart goes out to his devoted wife that he is cheating on. Marriage is not based on feelings but a decision to be committed to your partner no matter the challenges or temptations. The potholes in this book are really discouraging but I will give it a try. Thanks for your honest review.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Wow, that sounds like a frustrating read. Thanks for your honest review so that I can skip the book!
purpleroseberry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purpleroseberry.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by purpleroseberry »

Thanks for writing such an elaborate review. It is hard to write a review when the book is not interesting, but you were still honest in your review.
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

Poor editing can make one frustrated and tired of reading...
I'll just pass.
Thanks for the informative review though.
Nice review
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I won't be reading this book. Cheaters turn me off. Then to write a whole book out of it and it ends up as a mess of unprofessionally done work? I'll pass.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

It sounds like the book has too many shortcomings for me; plus I don't really want to read about someone's affair. Thanks for the honest review, though!
awais1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by awais1 »

the theme of book is very sad. this shows how important in life for both wife and husband to committed for each other.either one of them found cheating life become tasteless
. so we should avoid cheating its necessary for healthy relationship.this book shows power of love in practical life.very emotional story.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”