Official Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 106
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 603
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Designs of Destiny by Carol Purroy
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola

Post by Miriam Molina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Colors of Love" by Adeola Oyekola.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola features Yeni and Carey, childhood friends from Nigeria who have migrated to the USA. Yeni got pregnant out of wedlock, discovered her boyfriend was married, and lost her baby at birth. Carey married Tosin despite many warning signs telling her he might be the wrong guy. Will Yeni still find true love? Will Tosin prove the warnings unfounded?

While this is a romance novel, there are absolutely no steamy scenes. Fans of cozy romances will like it; those who are expecting intimate encounters will likely be disappointed. However, the story does not lack for the sweet nothings expressed between lovers. Hopeless romantics will find a couple of poems and wedding vows to gush over. Alas, the reader will likewise spot tearful expressions of the brokenhearted. “How can I survive this?” will ring loud and clear to those who have experienced heartache. (We did survive, didn’t we?)

The book has a predominantly Christian theme as the author “believes in propagating the gospel as commanded by the Lord Jesus Christ.” Prayer, fasting, Bible references, and spiritual signs are intricately woven into the story. The author emphasizes the value of human relationships, be they family or friends, and the virtue of honest work. This is not to say that the characters are all saintly; they are ordinary people with both good and bad traits.

The author injected the tale with many facets of Nigerian culture. I was happy to learn about Nigerian cuisine, such as the delicious-sounding bean pudding called Moin-Moin; Yoruba and Igbo formal wear; and their wedding traditions (the fancy Aso ebi is one). It was surprising to know that Nigerians, like Filipinos, addressed those older even by only a few years as “aunts” and “uncles.” Armchair travelers like me will surely relish the interesting trivia about the Nigerian lifestyle. A glossary of the Nigerian terms used may be a welcome addition, though.

Certain touches make the book unique. The prologue and epilogue are both written in verse. Each chapter is given a catchy title that is accompanied by a beautiful full-page monochrome photograph. The picture for Chapter 12, named “Families,” is especially fascinating.

On the downside, the narrative flow needs minor adjustments. The chapters focus on different characters, but there are a few times when the reader has to wade through a whole paragraph before identifying who is being discussed. Sudden shifts in point of view also distract the reader. Since the characters are made to tell stories, huge blocks of dialogue are employed. The punctuation used in these portions (double and single quotation marks, in particular) needs careful review to ensure continuity.

Grammar is another weak point. The errors noted include missing periods, inconsistent capitalization, and misspellings. Some words also seem inappropriately used. “Stingy memories” (for painful experiences) and “her nose was three times the standard size” (to describe a pregnant woman) may be expressed in better ways. There are likewise two very familiar Bible verses that are quoted without the proper citation.

Considering that the good points outweigh the bad, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. The author has a fine story to tell, and the ending makes it memorable. Addressing the negatives cited will ensure that the book passes the reader’s scrutiny with flying colors.

Colors of Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

I would love to learn about Nigerian culture and I also love romance stories. I think I would enjoy this book. Thanks for the great review.

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Shabram22 wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 15:24
I would love to learn about Nigerian culture and I also love romance stories. I think I would enjoy this book. Thanks for the great review.
Thanks for the sweet words. Yes, you will find this one relaxing at this stressful time.

ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: The Art of Creating Story by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

With its themes of love, spirituality and culture, this book sounds absolutely charming! Lovely review too, as always!

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 01:37
With its themes of love, spirituality and culture, this book sounds absolutely charming! Lovely review too, as always!
With the kinks ironed out, the book will be even lovelier. Charming comment, as always.

Faithmwangi
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by Faithmwangi »

Sounds like this read delves deep into the Nigerian culture and lifestyle. That in itself is reason enough for me to read it. I also enjoy the romance part of it. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Faithmwangi wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 04:37
Sounds like this read delves deep into the Nigerian culture and lifestyle. That in itself is reason enough for me to read it. I also enjoy the romance part of it. Thanks for the review.
I am actually wondering where I can go to taste the dishes I read about. Thanks for visiting.

En+kay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by En+kay »

This is beautiful work, soothing and calming on my nerves. With this review it is on my must read shelf. I hope love found Yeni again and Carey was able to work round the tell tale signs. The Nigerian culture is quite rich and marriages are family centered.

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

En+kay wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 12:47
This is beautiful work, soothing and calming on my nerves. With this review it is on my must read shelf. I hope love found Yeni again and Carey was able to work round the tell tale signs. The Nigerian culture is quite rich and marriages are family centered.
Thanks for your interest. Welcome to OBC and enjoy your time with us!

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by 0711918713 »

The writer perceive love, romance & culture in accumulative perspective... although the book is full of grammatical errors, the writer still able to paint love with it's colour esp by the Title of the book....it tells us about rich Nigerians culture & respect of the society

Firefawkes
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: Trials and Tribulations by Jess Thomas

Post by Firefawkes »

While unfortunate about the present errors, it seems this book has a lot to offer a variety of readers! The points about Nigerian culture seem interesting, so I may have to try this one. Thanks for your review :)

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

Firefawkes wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 19:54
While unfortunate about the present errors, it seems this book has a lot to offer a variety of readers! The points about Nigerian culture seem interesting, so I may have to try this one. Thanks for your review :)
Even if I may never have the golden opportunity to set foot on Nigerian soil, the book gave me a virtual trip, albeit too short. You are welcome to the same experience.

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina »

0711918713 wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 18:24
The writer perceive love, romance & culture in accumulative perspective... although the book is full of grammatical errors, the writer still able to paint love with it's colour esp by the Title of the book....it tells us about rich Nigerians culture & respect of the society
Thanks for visiting and commenting. Welcome to OBC! Hope you stick with us.

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by 0711918713 »

I'm deeply moved by your response about the book review.... Throughout the story or narrative I have learned alot about Nigeria rich culture & behevioural nornms & ethics..... you encouraged me to do more reviews

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 34
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Moi-moi when served warm is one of the best meal one can have; trust me. I'd love to read this book. It will be nice to read about my tribe (Yoruba) from another person's POV. Thanks for the succinct review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”