Official Review: The Nights are Alive! by Renuka Nair

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Official Review: The Nights are Alive! by Renuka Nair

Post by Chipochashe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Nights are Alive!" by Renuka Nair.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Nights are Alive! is a romance novel written by Renuka Nair. It follows the lives of two women, Carina and Urvashi. They are both in their early forties when their lives suddenly change. What happens when a woman has the perfect life and career, then everything falls apart? They are at a loss both in their personal lives and career-wise. They each decide that a change will do them good. Somehow, they both end up working the night shift at a job recruitment agency called NextStep in Amanshahr. Carina has an instant crush on her new boss, Vikrant, but is she willing to let him in? What are the implications for her career if she does? Urvashi is slowly being sucked in by depression. Will she succumb to alcoholism? How are the two women going to fare in this informal office environment and the steady build-up of pressure?

Renuka Nair skillfully weaves the tale of women who dare to be different. The book consists of 51 short chapters and an epilogue. The short chapters enabled the author to shift from one situation to another without meandering. The short headings give insight into the emotions that the characters may have to deal with. In telling the story, Renuka also manages to throw in some societal issues, such as physical and sexual abuse of women and children. She gives a little insight into this without letting the story get dark.

What I appreciated most about the book is that although the genre is romance, the author did not detail any erotic scenes. She skillfully describes light, playful scenes and leaves the rest to the reader’s imagination. The book seems to have been professionally edited. There were a few errors in the characters’ conversations, but these may have been deliberate. I only encountered two actual errors, one concerning tense and the other a spelling error. I noticed that the PDF version of this book does not show the author's name on the cover page and there is no picture.

I did not enjoy the promotion of recreational drugs and alcohol. The characters are seemingly immune to the effects of these drugs. It seems that the adults in this story behave like teenagers, going along with the crowd and succumbing to peer pressure. I felt that the women, who were supposedly different, somehow became clichés. This did not lessen my enjoyment of the story, but it made my connection with the characters weak. I failed to feel the strength and resilience that I had hoped to find in the two women. Weaknesses make the characters more human, of course, but I also expected a certain measure of strength.

Taking all things into consideration, Renuka did well on her debut novel, The Nights are Alive! She is a good storyteller. I hardly left the book once I started reading it. She did a great job on editing and describing the nightlife of Amanshahr. There is no use of profane language. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to adults interested in the culture of India and readers of romance. I discourage giving the book to adolescents and younger readers because of the stance on alcohol and drug abuse.

The Nights are Alive!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I like the storyline of Renuka. Given that this book is her first, she surely is a good storyteller. That this book is also well edited is a plus. I will add it to my shelf despite its shortcomings. Thanks.
xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

It'd be interesting to read something different, exciting and refreshing romance. I like your review very much.
Sydney Nyamasoka
Currently Reading: The 1000 most important questions you will ever ask yourself
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-nyamasoka.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Post by Sydney Nyamasoka »

Thank you for the great review, Chipochashe. It sounds like a well written and engaging book but I think it is not for me.
Search for, and find, real meaning in life and live purposefully.
Dijah01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dijah01 »

Thank you for sharing this,, but I don’t think am in for it
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

Nkoo wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 07:56 I like the storyline of Renuka. Given that this book is her first, she surely is a good storyteller. That this book is also well edited is a plus. I will add it to my shelf despite its shortcomings. Thanks.
You're welcome Nkoo. Thank you for your comment. I am sure that you will find the book enjoyable.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

xoxoAnushka wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 00:34 It'd be interesting to read something different, exciting and refreshing romance. I like your review very much.
Thanks for your comment Anushka. I'm sure that you won't be disappointed.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

Sydney Nyamasoka wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 05:23 Thank you for the great review, Chipochashe. It sounds like a well written and engaging book but I think it is not for me.
You are welcome Sydney. Thank you for your comment.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:

Post by Chipochashe »

Dijah01 wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 14:05 Thank you for sharing this,, but I don’t think am in for it
You're welcome Dijah01 and thanks for your comment.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I haven't been to India and love to read through some of their cultural practices.
Thank you for the recommendation.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

This book presents an interesting storyline with great female characters. Can't wait to explore this setting.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

I like the fact that this is a unique romance novel. The book seems exciting and hard to put down. I like the fact that it tackles serious issues like depression. However I don't think I'll be reading this book. It seems wonderful but it's not suitable for me. Great review!
kathy2705
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathy2705.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by kathy2705 »

Thankyou for a great review, I am looking forward to reading this book.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

Female lead characters are always inviting and inspiring! But in this story, they were portrayed as somewhat weaker, hence I may have to pass. Thank you for your great review!
Reader047
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader047.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Reader047 »

This book sounds like an interesting and engaging romance novel. However, I'm not a fan of this kind of genre. Thanks for your insightful review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”