Review by heatherashley7 -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
heatherashley7
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherashley7.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review by heatherashley7 -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by heatherashley7 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday by Samyann is one of those novels you wish came with a sequel! Amanda saves Mark’s life in a pretty heroic way and can’t shake the feeling that she knows him. Amanda is a young woman who has experienced more tragedy and loss than most. Mark is a police officer who comes from stable family and seems to be a hopeless romantic. After meeting Amanda, Mark also feels as though he knows her. Amanda soon buys a mysterious antique clock that appeals to both her and Mark making them wonder if they do know each other. Through hypnotism Amanda discovers she has lived a past life as Bonnie. Bonnie grew up during the Civil War with many influential people in her life, her papa, freed slaves, her cousin and many others. Could one of Bonnie’s past family members be Amanda’s current Mark? Will their relationship survive knowing the truth, or worst not knowing the truth?

I rate this novel a 3 out of 4 stars . The character in the novel seemed very unbelievable and indecisive which is why I gave this novel a three-star rating instead of 4. The story held my interest from the start which warrants the three stars instead of two.

As a personal fan of historical fiction, I will admit that I loved the historical story line much more than the present-day story. I do believe this novel could have been turned into two, or at least there should have been a better ending. The ending appeared to be rushed and I would have liked to see more closure. While the present-day storyline held my interest, it was very easy to skim over it as the characters seemed to go back and forth and each time it reverted to the present story line the same events kept happening.

The accuracies of the past storyline were a plus as I was able to learn a bit about South Carolina’s history. The character of Bonnie and her trials were much more interesting than Amanda and seemed to contain more character growth. I love reading about strong females and Bonnie seemed to be a strong female while Amanda came off as whiny, for this reason I can’t determine if I feel like the strength of the characters is a negative or positive.

This novel would appeal to fans of historical fiction and due to some adult content should be marketed to adult readers.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”