Review by pshaw1414 -- Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Review by pshaw1414 -- Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by Paige Alvarado »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Looking Glass Friends" by E L Neve.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Looking Glass Friends, E. L. Neve introduces us to two married couples who aren’t exactly living their happiest lives. In the beginning, Neil literally has a gun to his head, deciding that disgust and boredom are all that he has left. That is, until he remembers a friendly face from the bakery he works at. The lovely patron was sad to find that the cream puffs were sold out, and Neil valiantly sacrificed the stash he had been saving for his wife, Fay. Fay then enters his room, forcing him from his thoughts and back to the dark reality that he has lived in for far too long.

Meanwhile, Ellie cannot stop thinking about her cream puff hero. To return his favor, she purchases a copy of her favorite book for him, thus beginning a special friendship. Although neither of them can quite remember what the other looks like, a special bond is formed via email and telephone conversations, during which they discuss literature, poetry, and different perceptions of the world. Suddenly, they have someone to stimulate their minds, something their partners could never do. When Neil and Ellie communicate, it is like speaking to a mirror. Soon, they realize that they have found their soulmates. Will Neil be willing to break Fay’s heart so that he may pursue his own happiness? Will Ellie be able to leave her rich husband and his luxurious mansion and start anew with her five-year-old son in order to achieve contentment?

Looking Glass Friends was a beautifully written twisted romance. Neve uses poetry to enhance the letters between Neil and Ellie as well as within the narrative which, in my opinion, really made this book special. At first, I was turned off by the idea that Neil and Ellie would betray their spouses by speaking to one another so regularly. However after getting into the book, I was pleasantly surprised to see that both protagonists were upfront with their spouses about their friendships. Neither of them intended to fall in love, and infidelity was out of the question; although some may argue that outwardly communicating with someone of the opposite sex on such a deep level is a demonstration of unfaithfulness. The characters were so well developed that I felt very seriously that I knew them. For example, I grew to absolutely despise Jake, Ellie’s husband. I also fell in love with Fay.

In terms of quality, E. L. Neve did a gorgeous job with this book. The narrative was flawless and the characters were extremely believable. I absolutely could not put this one down. At 454 pages, it appears to be a hefty read but the chapters are exquisitely brief, making it so easy to begin “just one more”. I only came across 8 errors, mostly misplaced capitalizations. This did not take away from the story whatsoever.

My favorite thing about this book was Ellie. She was very honest with Jake about her relationship with Neil. She was also a very devoted mother. Despite Jake’s multiple shortcomings, Ellie remained very civil, making all of her decisions with her little boy in mind. She never spoke ill of Jake around her son, and I really respect her for that. She also stayed true to herself. She wasn’t interested in sex with her husband, even before Neil entered her life, and she refused to give in to him. She was virtuous. She knew she was bound to Jake by marriage, and therefore would not succumb to her physical desire for Neil.

My least favorite thing about this book was Jake’s character. Although his fortune was stemmed from a winning lottery ticket, he presents himself as an entitled, self-made millionaire. His approach to happiness is solely materialistic. He constantly says that because Johnny (their son) is his, and Johnny is also Ellie’s, Ellie will always belong to him. He demeans anyone he determines to be inferior to him. He was possessive, arrogant, and generally horrible in my opinion.

As I previously stated, there were some errors in the text, but nothing that takes away from the story. I did come across a few instances of profanity. Additionally, there were some mild references to eroticism. Rape, violence, and infidelity are also themes discussed in the text, making it unsuitable for young audiences or those triggered by such elements. However, I would highly recommend it to anyone interested in a beautiful, almost lyrical romance, filled with deception, suspense, and the struggle to find happiness. I am elated to give Looking Glass Friends 4 out of 4 stars.

Looking Glass Friends
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

A beautifully written and twisted romance novel, with poetry is definitely a nice read. Thanks for the review
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The moral dilemma you have described adds an interesting twist to the romance aspect of the story. I enjoyed your descriptions of the different characters. Your comment about the short chapters made me chuckle. I, too, have been drawn into the "just one more" trap! Great review! Thanks.
Ariel_Martin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arieljmartin.html
Latest Review: The Wicked Wives by Gus Pelagatti

Post by Ariel_Martin »

Excellent review. I like you take with their relationship, when I read it I struggled to get past the "deception". I thought it was a beautiful book as well but I found that part ugly, but more raw.

Thank you for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”