Official Review: Playing With Fire by Jaytoe Anthony Tukan

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Playing With Fire by Jaytoe Anthony Tukan

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Playing With Fire" by Jaytoe Anthony Tukan.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gwen is appalled by her boyfriend Johnny's decision to end their long-term relationship. Convinced that he was her soulmate, she must reevaluate her life. Instead of wallowing in self-pity, she leans on her best friends for support. They take her out for a night on the town and make it their mission to show her a great time. Gwen feels blessed to have a strong support system, but she can't ignore the void in her heart. Will she ever be able to find lasting love?

Playing With Fire by Jaytoe Anthony Tukan is a story about a heartbroken woman who is on a quest to get over her ex and open her heart to new experiences. The book is told in the first-person perspective, but to my dismay, it randomly switches to the third person throughout the book. At just over 200 pages, I expected the book to be average in length, but with the font being so large, it was much shorter.

Upon finishing this book, I took a deep breath and dug deep inside myself to try and find something positive to say. Unfortunately, I came up empty-handed. The main character, Gwen, was supposedly distraught over the termination of her relationship. Still, after the initial grief, there was no further mention of it. In fact, within the span of a few pages, she was throwing herself at her best friend. When she was rejected, she quickly moved on and confessed to readers that she was in love with Antonio, who had not been introduced to the story yet. Gwen's character was one-dimensional and didn't resonate with me.

The author made several comments regarding racial barriers in friendships and relationships, which could have added substance to the story. Gwen's group of friends was multiracial, and she often would point it out to readers, but it didn't seem to serve a purpose. She also focused on the skin color of a potential love interest. She said, "The first vivid problem I see with Peter and me having a relationship is racial. Peter is white, and I am black. What would he ever want with me?" After her initial comment, there was no further mention of it. I was left questioning why the author chose to make such a bold statement if there was no intention of pursuing it.

The thing that I most disliked about Playing With Fire was the lack of expression in writing. I kept waiting for the author to pull me in, but I was perpetually disappointed. The author had a bad habit of using certain words repetitively in a sentence, which became quite annoying. An example of this was when Gwen said, "The couple kissed, and kissed, and kissed, and would not stop kissing." The same type of sentence then followed it. The author wrote, "The audience applauded, and applauded, and applauded, and applauded." It felt as though this repetition only served one purpose—to fill up space.

I had high hopes for this book, but it continually disappointed me. There were loose ends that remained untied, leaving gaping holes in the story. I chose to give the book a rating of 1 out of 4 stars. Playing With Fire is riddled with formatting and grammatical errors. To secure a higher score, it needs several rounds of planning and editing. At this point, I would not recommend the book to readers who are looking for a sweet love story with well-developed characters. The book was about as romantic as doing my taxes, and I would dissuade readers of any age from reading it.

Playing With Fire
View: on Bookshelves
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

"The couple kissed, and kissed, and kissed, and would not stop kissing." The same type of sentence then followed it. The author wrote, "The audience applauded, and applauded, and applauded, and applauded." It felt as though this repetition only served one purpose—to fill up space.
This one sounds like a chore. Thanks for your honest review.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. This one sounds like it still needs some fine tuning to make it enjoyable. I think I will pass.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like the thought of this. It's not often you see a woman finding herself after a breakup in a fictional setting. It's just too bad it's not executed well. Sorry you had to plod through this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

So sorry that this book was disappointed to you. It is always hard when you can't find anything positive to say about the book. Thanky you for the honest review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It makes you wonder if this is the author's first book? The repetition would become annoying. Thanks for your perseverance to finish the book and write an honest review. Much appreciated!
Stephanie Elizabeth

kdstrack wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 19:16 It makes you wonder if this is the author's first book? The repetition would become annoying. Thanks for your perseverance to finish the book and write an honest review. Much appreciated!
I was questioning the same thing! Thanks for your comment.
Stephanie Elizabeth

AntonelaMaria wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 11:16 So sorry that this book was disappointed to you. It is always hard when you can't find anything positive to say about the book. Thanky you for the honest review.
Thanks!
Stephanie Elizabeth

kandscreeley wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 20:40 I like the thought of this. It's not often you see a woman finding herself after a breakup in a fictional setting. It's just too bad it's not executed well. Sorry you had to plod through this one.
I was really excited about it when I read the blurb; it could have been so much better! Thanks!
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Thanks for the honest review. The first paragraph in your review made me want to read the book, but as I read on further I am disappointed. This book does have the potential to become a good read.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 10:17The book was about as romantic as doing my taxes, and I would dissuade readers of any age from reading it.

That's quite the damning indictment of the book right there, that is, and one I feel is probably quite warranted. I think there's room for exploring a lot of the topics you mentioned, but it probably wasn't done well, particularly since the two hundred pages appeared to feel shorter. Thanks for the warning.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”