Review by Nic Eliza -- Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nic Eliza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nic-eliza.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Review by Nic Eliza -- Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by Nic Eliza »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Geraldine" by Edmund M Aristone.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A suspended surgeon and an artist with bipolar disorder! Meet Tom, an alcoholic bartender and a suspended surgeon, and Geraldine, a beautiful intelligent artist suffering from bipolar disorder. The two met through a mutual friend and ex-lover of Tom. Tom is immediately attracted to Geraldine and falls head over heels in love with her. After a series of dates, a romantic relationship ensues between the two. Enter Geraldine's circle of weird friends and their unusually eccentric beliefs, and these two have to survive the tide of Geraldine's rare disorder, and the ominous events that seem to follow her.

Tom is smart, kind and selfless, putting other people's needs and well-being before him. Geraldine is humorous and intelligent. The fact that she suffers from a life-threatening disease does not dampen her personality. Their love is a match from heaven. Tom uses his medical training and money to make sure Geraldine is taken care of. Geraldine is quite unpredictable, and with her unusual friends, Tom finds himself on his toes trying to understand the impact of their beliefs on his lover. The story seems to be more focused on how Tom dealt with Geraldine's sickness than on how Geraldine fought to survive her sickness, therefore giving little insight into Geraldine's person.

I loved this story. I found the characters real and not fantasy-like as seen in most romance stories. The author developed his characters well and they make for an interesting read. The plot of the story was also well thought out. The tragedy in the story was delivered well and unexpectedly throughout the story, making it quite unpredictable, and keeping the reader with bated breath. The story was very engaging and elicited all kinds of emotion from me, from joy to sadness and confusion. On the negative side, I found the story very short. The story is also superficial as the author did not dive deep into explaining how Tom became attached to one of Geraldine's friends called Virginia and jumps from their meeting to them sharing a very close relationship. The author should have given more information about Geraldine's bipolar disorder, her fears, the severity of the disease and what could have happened if she had gone off her medication.

I rate Edmund Aristone's Geraldine 3 out of 4 stars. There were a few grammatical errors. The story, however, is beautiful and captivating. I enjoyed reading the book, and I fell in love with all of Edmund's characters.

I recommend the book to young couples like Geraldine and Tom, as their relationship is such a sweet romantic story. I would also recommend it to medical students like myself. Tom serves as an example of what a good doctor is, putting his patients and their lives before money and reputation.

Geraldine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”