Review by BeckerE -- Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BeckerE
Currently Reading: Killing History
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beckere.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by BeckerE -- Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by BeckerE »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Geraldine" by Edmund M Aristone.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone presents one of the most interesting books I read during the last few months. Initially, I became worried that the book may present complex scenes related to bipolar conditions, but my assumptions changed. The book allowed the reader to become familiar with the main characters by starting with Tom's life, his medical study history, relationships with other people and close friends. It allowed me to develop an understanding of Tom's character, his worldviews, the manner he experiences life and approaches to religion for example.

The author successfully allowed the reader to move from Tom’s social environment to the next phase in his life when he met Geraldine. The initial meeting with her, I experienced as a key event that changed not only Tom’s social setting and relationships, but his worldview started to align with a more human-like approach. Tom started to experience the spiritual practices used by people who struggle with bipolar that he needed to understand.

Geraldine’s unique personality, memories of her mother and the subsequent bipolar disorder condition increase the intensity of the storyline and the reader’s expectations of the upcoming events. The book’s ability to link Geraldine’s medical status with spiritual thinking, religion, and science creates a fantastic balance between the key personality characteristics. Although the book attempted to explain the complex bipolar experiences by referring to hardcore sciences and a more spiritual understanding, the author followed a respectful approach. 

Throughout the book I could feel Tom’s nervousness because of Geraldine’s condition, his emotions of hopelessness and continues strive to find the correct medical cure. Even later in the book, Tom started to dive into Geraldine’s world to reach some kind of spiritual understanding of her condition and it showed the meaning of his love for this woman. Until the end the book keeps the reader interested in the complex relationship journey experienced by Tom and Geraldine, the challenges both needed to face from an intellectual to an emotional point of view. Not once I experienced boredom when reading the book, only wondering about the complexities a person like Geraldine carries throughout their lives and the support they need.

I give Geraldine a 4 out of 4 because of the fascinating storyline, the continues logical set-up, explanation of the different character scenes and the ability to keep the reader interested in the complex relationships between two people who sincerely care for each other. The book provides an intense understanding of the emotions and challenges people experience who need to deal with bipolar disorders and at the same time manage their relationships in a caring way.

Geraldine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”